Acting Out In School

I have a six year old step son who started school this past fall and for awhile it was pretty rocky for him. He wasn't really sure what he was supposed to be doing or why he was expected to behave. He was also pretty behind when it came to speaking clearly and figuring out things for himself. But he got a lot better and for the past few months, his teachers have been really impressed with him. However, here lately he keeps acting out in school. He won't do his homework and he actually balled his fist up at the teacher as if to strike her! I'm worried that there's something going on at his mother and stepfather's house (he lives with them unfortunately) but I don't know how or if I should talk to him about it, or what I can do to help him. He's a really good kid when he's over at our house and I'm really worried about him. What can I do?

DellaF88

Asked by DellaF88 at 1:47 AM on Mar. 27, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Can you get him to talk to you, dh and a school counselor?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:20 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Hi,
    I work at a public school and deal with this problem everyday with certain students. Ask your husband to talk to his teacher and see how bad the problem is. If it is ongoing it could be a behavioral problem. (ADD, ADHD, Bi-polar, manic depressive) see if his anger escalates to the point of having to be physically restrained, etc. Start researching it and don't always blame the custodial parents, it could just be a chemical imbalance. See if he has been assessed by the school psychologist and if so, what are the results.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 2:21 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Its not so bad as him getting angry, it has much more to do with him not wanting to do his work and telling the teacher that they couldn't make him do it. He has gotten into fights with other kids, but hasn't been in a fight for months. He has also just been acting like this for the past two weeks, but no longer. He doesn't get angry and he doesn't ever threaten us while he's here. But he's just had two baby sister's (one from his mother and one from me). I wonder if its not so much the custodial parents' fault as it is with him feeling like he's not getting enough attention. I honestly don't believe that it has anything to do with ADD or any of those other problems you mentioned. He's a very loving and sweet little boy. I guess I'm worried that maybe I'm not doing enough for him....That somehow we've overloaded him by giving him two baby sisters within months of each other....?
    DellaF88

Answer by DellaF88 at 2:29 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Oh, and I may mention that the fights he has been in were started by other children. ((This has been confirmed by witnessing teachers.))
    DellaF88

Answer by DellaF88 at 2:30 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• When you asked him what was going on, what did he say?
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:53 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• He might also have a defiant behavior problem. Nip it in the bud right now and devote yourself to fixing it. He will most likely grow out of it and remember who helped him through it.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 3:11 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Whenever my 7 yr old son gets angry & acts out, I always talk to him to find out the problem. Right now, hes having diffculty expressing his anger in productive ways. Anger management may be of some help!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I had a similar problem with my son. We had moved, so he had to change schools. Which was one factor. But the other was his father. I am divorced and his father lives in VA, im in NY. It was just before christmas that my son started acting out. We had only been in our new place for a month. When my son found out his father was coking to see he started acting different in school and at home. Finally set a parent -teacher conference up along with the principal. What we did to correct his behavior was keep a notebook. I would report to the teacher and vice-versa. The teacher had to keep my son away from the kids in his class and also he sat alone at lunch. I also took away all video games for a month. After the first couple weeks, he got the idea that he wasn't getting away with it. And he stopped this behavior. I do believe my son has issues with his father. I have talked to my son almost everyday to help him understand.
    Essica

Answer by Essica at 3:43 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• cont...... my suggestion is to talk to your child and find out why this is happening. And possibly take a more active role in the school. Partner up with the teacher and the principal.
    Essica

Answer by Essica at 3:44 PM on Apr. 6, 2009