i seen something about homemade formula, does anyone know anything about it?

Marleesmom79

Asked by Marleesmom79 at 1:50 AM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've not seen anything about this, unless you count some of the older practices of making it with things like condensed milk or evaporated milk. If that's what you mean, I would NOT do it, it's not healthy, and there isn't any nutritional value to it for the baby.

Other than that, and I don't mean this to be flippant, because I believe how a person chooses to feed their baby is their own choice (as far as formula or nursing), but the only other "homemade formula" that I can think of is breast milk ;-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:42 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Homemade formulas are usually not recommended because they will lack nutrients that are needed, and vitamin supplements are needed. Which ones depend on the "recipe" you use.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:28 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• companies spend millions of dollars and thousands of hours trying to make formula that resembles the nutrients found in a mothers milk and still they come up short. So the idea that some lay person could possibly "make" formula seems a little scary. Try reading what's in formula, the amount of ingredients is staggering. I doubt a homemade formula would be able to fufill the nutritional duties of brstmilk or store bought formula. Be careful if that's what you choose to do, you don't want your little one to be nutritionally deficient in something.
    Liv32

Answer by Liv32 at 9:18 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• My kids were raised on homemade formula and they are all perfectly healthy, I made mine the same way my grandmother did, half water, half condensed vitamin D milk and a teaspoon of Caro syrup. I didn't have to give them vitamin supplements and they all thrived.

sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:27 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Not to be rude sammiesmom, but how on earth can that be healthy??
    DayDaysmom19

Answer by DayDaysmom19 at 9:40 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• back in the day..all they ever used was condensed milk and karo syrup before they had formula.. and if i read the first ingriedent on similac sensitive.. its CORN SYRUP and the 2nd ingredient is CORN SYRUP SOLIDS so 43% of the formula is sugar.. so no real difference there either..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Mar. 27, 2009