doctor was agaisnt everything I asked it seemed

Took son to the doctor about his reactions to whole milk. He was getting the rashes which went away a week ago, but then he developed bloating, crankiness and diarrhea. I told the doctor he said to take him off all juices and his soy milk and to just give him whole milk and water separately. Does this make sense? Can someone explain why to me cause he didnt seem to feel the need to care to inform me why he cant even have juice. He also wouldnt help with planning a nutritious diet for my 14month old can you help me with that by giving me a website or something? OH...and my doctor totally felt the need to scream at me for letting my son co-sleep because I mentioned his bad sleeping patterns. Told me to let him scream it out in his crib.

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 4:42 AM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I do agree he should scream it out, but the doctor was rude and not explaining things. At that age you don't want to co-sleep only because it is harder to break later. The juices can cause your problems more likely than the soy milk. So soy milk I don't understand. The juices should be taken away temp. because they are most likely the cause of the diahria and other things. So you should only give him water and milk until it clears up. As for the nutrition guide my best suggestion is google wic that web site will give you a guide. I'm guessing you have a pediatrician which sadly alot are jerks. That is why I started taking my kids to a family doc. I'm sorry you were treated that way and I hope this helps. If you want I could ask me grandma tomorrow about the soy milk thing she is in med. and would know? Let me know and good luck.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 5:01 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• if you want then sure...but no need if you dont have the time. I just thought soy was really good for them. I got the complete kind that is lactose free and gluten free...has dha omega 3 in it and fiber and calcium....just thought it was better for em is all and he loves it! He drinks the whole but like right now he gets CRAZY cranky for no reason and only when he drinks it. Something isnt right. We are switching to a family practice in april it is activated.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 5:12 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• More than likely the doctor is trying to get you to cut out so many variables so you can figure out what is causing the reactions.

Sticking to water and whole milk ONLY will allow you to see if it is the milk that is causing his reactions.

Juice can cause diarrhea....my sons get it horribly with specific kinds of juice. So, if you take away the juice and he STILL has diarrhea, then it's probably from the milk, but how can you tell if he's drinking TWO things that can cause it?

Removing the soy milk is simply (probably) removing another variable in an attempt to figure out what the reactions are from.

Screaming at you was uncalled for, but if your son has bad sleeping patterns it may be time to put him in his own bed to allow him the opportunity to sleep soundly. You stir, you wake him up kind of thing.

Nutritious diet...the same you're supposed to eat, but in smaller portions.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:43 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Alot of people are having reactions to soy. They are getting to much. Soy also is contaminated with fertilizers etc. You are only suppose to have small amounts of soy and organic.

You know your son. Make a food chart and start writing everything down he is eating after a week or so you will beable to see what is making him bloat etc.

Find a different doctor. Make appt. with them and do an interview. They are working for YOU.

If you co sleep then so be it. Its no one elses business. Not even the doctors.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 7:03 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• While I don't agree that co-sleeping is ideal for either parent or child, it's absolutely NOT your doctor's business. I pay my pediatrician to be a DOCTOR, not give me PARENTING ADVICE. If he oversteps his boundaries (which he occasionally does), I just tell that it works for us and that's what we'll continue to do. Lol. He's used to me and my stubborn ways by now!

As for the reasons, as another PP said, it's probably just to rule out possibilities. My friend's son broke out shortly after they started him on rice cereal. She had bought the top of the line stuff. Turns out all those "great" omega 3 additives are made of - you guessed it - fish oils! The very thing his daddy is allergic to! So once they got that figured out, he was okay to eat NON-omega 3 foods.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 8:45 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Easy -- get a new doc! My doc is very good and will answer any WHY questions. He usually explains things to us any way. I can't stand doctors who don't. Also, I expect my doc to recommend things, but not force. So he may say that I don't recommend co-sleeping for *these* reasons, but he's OK with me doing what I like.

It's possible your doc just wants to test one drink at a time. So if he still reacts, milk is the problem. If not, try milk + juice or try soy and water, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Also, as an FYI, children who have a milk sensitivity can also have a soy sensitivity, so switching to Soy isn't necessarily the best alternative. It took me six months of loose stool to figure out it was both dairy and soy milk that my son was sensitive to, so we switched to an enriched rice milk and then slowly incorporated milk back into his diet. I agree with the PP that the doctor is trying to eliminate the variable to identify the specific cause and that he was incredibly rude to not discuss details with you and to suggest you CIO. Find a new pediatrician that supports your parenting philosophy - but check first to see if they support your family choices or if they draw a hard line (like a lot of moms here can, too) and say there's only ONE way to do it right. If that, then keep looking...
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:06 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I would look for another doc, or call yours back and ask for answers. It does sound like he is trying to eleminate all other suspects before the milk.
    I would keep track of your sons diet and everything he eats.
    Try the Milk and water like the doc suggeted.
    Look for another doc. My kids co-slept and my Doc was not happy about it and he strongly suggested I put them in their own beds. But in no way did he yell at me and if he had I would have walked out. Co-sleeping can be safe if done right.
    Call the doc back or look for a second opinion.
    kristinmamaof2

Answer by kristinmamaof2 at 9:52 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Personally Id be looking for another Pediatrician! NO DOCTOR is going to yell at me for Co-sleeping or anything else (and yes we co-sleep)... HE WORKS FOR ME! Would you ever yell at your boss?! ! Eh NO.
    And if you ask, he should have explained everything until you understood. thats his job as the dr to keep you the parent informed!
    Good Luck!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:05 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I agree w/ many of the previous posts to get a new Dr. But keep in mind that most Drs., including Peds. know very little about infant and toddler nutrition. They are given about 1 class on this in medical school, so just because they are Drs. does not mean they know everything. If you're looking for good nutrition advice, your best bet would be to seek out a good Nutritionist or Dietitian. You can also find a lot of good info. online. Check out www.askdrsears.com to start. He is a Dr. w/ 8 children and is also supportive of co-sleeping. Many Drs. are not supportive of co-sleeping but as a parent, I've found its usually best to just not bring that up w/ the Dr.

sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 11:32 AM on Mar. 27, 2009