Have you used breast shells to help with flat nipples? What was your experience? Did it help?

Angeliz742

Asked by Angeliz742 at 8:02 AM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had to use them, but it was because the baby would not latch on... but they are the same thing. I hated them. mostly because I wanted to 'really' breastfeed. I also had to pump because of a lack of stimulation from non direct contact. it really did help though, she would eat just fine with it on and was getting plenty to eat.. hope this helps!!!
    leslielynn

Answer by leslielynn at 9:41 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Yes I used them, they were WONDERFUL!! My son was tounge tied and could not latch so I used them til he got his tounge clipped. I also have an inverted nipple so I used one on that side for about 2-3 weeks and then it was pulled out far enough and he was good enough at latching on that we didn't need it anymore!
    Mep291

Answer by Mep291 at 10:39 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• It didn't help me because I had inverted nipples and after I had flat ones so my son still refused to breastfeed but if your only flat and not inverted it should work because I noticed a big difference just not enough to help me Lol. Good Luck!
    Kimiro

Answer by Kimiro at 1:51 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• i used a nipple shield on my left inverted nipple for about 2 weeks. My doula said I might have to use it indefinitely, but around the 2 wk point, my nipple started coming out, and DD took the nipple just fine. My inverted is now very much protruding at 6 weeks thanks to a good latch & awesome medela pump.
    lilypadpr

Answer by lilypadpr at 5:07 PM on Mar. 29, 2009