How long are your 2 years old lo's naps?

My dd's naps have flexed a lot lately. She been going through a growth spurt but a friend of mine said that I shouldn't expect her to continue to sleep for three hours for a nap anymore. So I'd like to know how long does your lo's nap. I am assuming that they are on a sleep schedule for naps and bedtime for this question.

isabellalecour

Asked by isabellalecour at 8:14 AM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Mine is 2.5 years. Her naps are anywhere from 45 minutes to 3 hours witih 1.5 hours being the most common.

Naps do sometimes taper off - getting shorter over time until they are gone. How long will that take? There is no way to tell. Some kids give them up suddenly before they are even 2 other kids still need a nap when they go off to first grade. Just remember that when she does drop her nap, her overall sleep needs have not changed - all that has changed is when she wants to get that sleep. So be sure to tack some extra sleep on at night for her, putting her down a little earlier than you used to.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:56 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Two hours. He enjoys his sleep. Amped up and ready to roll!
    kimskillern

Answer by kimskillern at 8:19 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• My daughter is only 16 months old. She naps about 2 hrs a day. I've heard "professions" say that naps shouldn't last any more than 2 hrs during the day. I wouldn't think your 2 yr old would continue with 3 hr naps for to much longer. At 2 hrs old my son was napping about 1 - 1 1/2 hrs.
    BubNSoap

Answer by BubNSoap at 8:21 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Xylia usually naps for about an hour to an hour and a half. If she's growing or something she's taken a 2 hour nap but that is very very rare.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 8:37 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• My 2 year old is beginning to not want naps at all!! She just turned 2 about a month ago, too. It's a scary thought (especially since I'm about to give birth again). My daughter was napping 2x a day, then it went to 1 long nap at 1pm. Now, I try everyday to get her to take a nap at 3pm (even bought blackout curtains for her room) & it's a 50/50. Her bedtime is 8pm & even w/o a nap she'll play in her room for almost an hour sometimes in the dark before she falls asleep. I hope this doesn't happen to you... it's heart wrenching for me to leave her mad at me until she falls asleep, but you have to. My husband & I are constantly talking about a solution to this b/c as much as she plays during the day SHE'S NEVER TIRED!!
    mrsvedaj

Answer by mrsvedaj at 8:38 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• My kids napped for 2-3 hours at age 2. But regardless of whether they nap now or not (they are 3 and 4), they have to stay in their room for a full two hours so mommy can relax.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 8:46 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• mrsvedaj: it's possible that you're waiting too long to put her in a nap. my kids WILL NOT SLEEP if i get them in their naps later than 2p. (regular naptime is at 1p.) plus, if your daughter falls asleep at 3p and gets up an hour or two hours later, how will she be tired at 8p for bedtime?
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 8:48 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Well we arnt two just yet but... He naps at home for two hrs only.. But at daycare they can only get him to take one for 30min.
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 9:15 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• one hour to an hour and a half.
    KZB

Answer by KZB at 9:31 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• A Hour and a half, I wish he would sleep a little longer. But some days he does not even nap he just looks at books in his bed until I go get him.
    kristinmamaof2

Answer by kristinmamaof2 at 9:56 AM on Mar. 27, 2009