Should we be paying illegal immigrants to volunteer while in custody?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6345312.html

How do you feel about the fed hiring illegals to work for $1 / day while they are detained (voluntarily, they aren't forced to work if they don't want to)? If you don't agree with it, what changes would you make?

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 9:32 AM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't think we should pay any inmate to work. I think that all inmates regardless of citizenship should be put to work. Grow their own food to eat and donate the left overs to homeless shelters. clean up after natural disasters etc. their pay? 3 meals a day a bed to sleep in, access to library and gym. (which currently they get for free)
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 1:13 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• They should not get paid. I would use them helping to clean the city,highways after the snow melts from trash,clean the local parks.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I think we should use the prisoners more. Like in Alaska in women's prison they have program were they are training service dogs for war vets or disabled people. Every spring they have plant sale,that is how they are raising funds for prison.

Tristana

Answer by Tristana at 9:41 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• HU.. NO!!!
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 9:42 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Should not get paid should be deported immediately along with their families. If they are illegal any children they have here in the USA should not be automatic citizens.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Are you kidding? Thats crazy. They should be deported or sent to serve their sentenceI and then deported . I hear now they want to give Gitmo detainees welfare money as they are let go so they can start to get their lives back. OMG it makes me want to vomit!
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:38 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I am not sure how dual citizenship works, but I think we should play with that a while. If a child is born in the US of illegal immigrant parents, they should retain the ability to gain citizenship when they are of legal age to take care of themselves if they move here (18). Their papers should have an expedited processing, but they should not be allowed to be 'anchor babies' to enable their parents to stay in this country. If when they are 18 they decide to come here and work/live/prosper/pay taxes, then great.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:38 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Why not pay them? They are going to be deported regardless, they need to buy necessities as well. It's not like they are keeping the money I'm sure it all goes back into the "system".

xocyncyn

Answer by xocyncyn at 10:41 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• xocyncyn, I am pretty sure they are supplied with the necessities without having to work for them. The program is by volunteer basis, so if they want to do the work, they can choose to do it. If they don't want to, then they don't have to. They are welcome to sit around and wait for their ride home. I think the complaint is that ICE is technically employing these illegal immigrants and only paying them $1 / day. So in essence, they are breaking the law by employing illegals.

Let me be clear, I don't have a problem with ICE's policy at all. I think if it's on a volunteer basis and they aren't forced to work, then it's their choice to be active in a positive way while awaiting their deportation.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:53 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I don't understand why they would pay them and not other detainees? Or do they pay all detainees for work? It's just confusing to me.
    Why pay someone for work they are doing while, essentially in prison?
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:35 AM on Mar. 27, 2009