• In the Spotlight:

Anyone have kids driving you nuts?

Gosh...My 2 boys (5 & 9) are sooooo needy! They need me for everything, from wiping their butts to putting toothpaste on their toothbrush! Everything! Everything!
My Dh and I are happy to be getting a break today. They are having a sleepover at gramas. We can't wait to have dinner and a conversation about us for once!
But, seriuosly...how do I break them off these habits of mommy and daddy doing everything? I like to help them and teach them, of course. But my problem, is that I always feel like if I do it for them, It gets done right.

mamaada

Asked by mamaada at 9:52 AM on Mar. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• i know what your going through mama my 6 year old son will not wipe his own butt nor will he get him something to drink when he knows how to i cant wait til he is 18 lol my daughter is still alittle young shes only 3 but i know how it is
    mememe27

Answer by mememe27 at 10:14 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I don't mean this to sound harsh, but of course it gets done right the first time when you do it. You know how to do it and they don't. Show them, teach them how to do things. Sure it will probably take lots of time and there will be lots of fits on their part, but the only way they will learn is if they are taught. My three year old showers himself, wipes himself, puts his laundry in the hamper, makes his own bed, cleans all his toys, sweeps the floor (sounds silly but he actually does a really good job!), he puts his dishes in the sink, washes and dries the table when he's done eating. When he spills his drink, he knows where the towels are and will a towel on his own and clean it up. Sure it would be faster if I did all that, and it would be easier for me because I won't have to listen to his whining when I told him to try again, BUT he knows about responsibility and is so much more independent.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 10:10 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• "But my problem, is that I always feel like if I do it for them, It gets done right."
    You gotta let go of that and let them make messes and mistakes that is the only way they are going to learn and become independent!
    Teaching them is not doing it for them but showing them how and then letting them do it.
    I am not bashing I know it is hard to let go of 'if you want it done right do it yourself', but really how badly can they screw up putting toothpaste on a toothbrush?
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 10:11 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• "My three year old showers himself, wipes himself, puts his laundry in the hamper, makes his own bed, cleans all his toys, sweeps the floor (sounds silly but he actually does a really good job!), he puts his dishes in the sink, washes and dries the table when he's done eating. When he spills his drink, he knows where the towels are and will a towel on his own and clean it up."

God I wish. I need to start working on this! Thanks ladies!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:15 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I think we all have had or will have a day like that. Mine usually happen when the oldest two can't walk by each other without an ugly comment or when they deceide to gang up on the 3 yo.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 11:14 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• You actually wipe a five and nine year olds behind? OMG I've heard it all today...I have 7 children and by the time they were three to four years old, they became independent, that means, some tasks that I did for them, they begun to do for themselves and the first one being wiping their own behinds...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 1:43 PM on Mar. 27, 2009