Can I get more from child support each year instead of the $90 per week I've been receiving for 3 years now?

How does this work in NY?

Lia345

Asked by Lia345 at 10:07 AM on Mar. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• no the only way it will go up is if you go to court to get it higher
    mememe27

Answer by mememe27 at 10:10 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• does the father make more money since it was set? do you make less money than when it was set? if yes to either you can get it reviewed to see if child support should be modified but it will have to go through child support office
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 10:15 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• to have it re evaluated, something has to have changed since that amount was set. For example, does he make more money now, new job, you make less, your child care expenses changed??? If so, then you should be able to re pettion the court to adjust child support. GL
    Skyler11978

Answer by Skyler11978 at 10:15 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I only know Wisconsin and you can have a child support case reviewed every 3 years. Be warned that the support can be lowered. I get $50 a week and have been for about 7 years now. I won't go to court to have it reviewed yet because he isn't working. Talk to an attorney that specializes in child support or talk to the child support agency in your county.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:35 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Thats what I figured...that u have to go to court to seeif you can get it higher. It sucks only because 10 years from now we will still get that amount when things naturally go up. He does make more money and each year he gets a bigger pay due to being in the Local #1 Union for Plumbers. When it was set he was only an apperentise, which means he got the minimum wage they were offering which was probably $13.00 per hour...today he is a journeymen who makes $35.00 per hour, and I dont believe thats fair because I make $30 a year and thats hard raising a child alone and making ends meet between rent etc
    Lia345

Answer by Lia345 at 11:13 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Thanks girls for answering me back! I appreciate it =)
    Lia345

Answer by Lia345 at 11:15 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Go to court.
    Anonymous

• You are worried about ten years from now?
    Anonymous

• Absolutely I worry about 10 years from now, its my childs welfare, just like people worry about their childrens education and college tuition I believe every mother should worry about their kids future!
    Lia345

Answer by Lia345 at 8:49 AM on Mar. 30, 2009