To those who tithe...

How has tithing changed your life? When you first considered tithing, did you have any doubt that maybe you won't have enough to give or that it would backfire? When or what convinced you that it would be for the best?

I've been thinking of doing this, but there are two things I must do first. One, I would need to find a church, and two my husband just doesn't seem to believe in tithing. How can you convince someone to tithe when they feel it will be useless?

Miss-Baby-Baker

Asked by Miss-Baby-Baker at 10:34 AM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• you can't convince him really, you can just inform him where all our blessings (monetary blessings included) come from the Lord, maybe you can read him some passeges or find a guy who's opinion he values to share his feelings on that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• when you tithe you should be giving joyfully not begrudgingly so until your husband is content with it, he shouldn't give I guess. The Lord loves a cheerful giver.

Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 10:36 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• this is so hard to convince anyone to do. If they don't feel in their hearts that they should, you really can't change it.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 10:37 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• my dad didn't want to tithe when my parents were first married, but she insisted. he went for a job promotion and the night before my dad had figured the amount of raise he needed so that they could buy their first home. During the interview the boss told my dad his raise would be 1.50/hr which amounts to $3120/yr. It was to the penny the exact amount the needed!! He has tithed ever since. I pay mine monthly like i do all my bills so I don't have to write a check every week. I have been blessed to be able to care for my dd with no child support and I feel like what I give always come back to me. In the Bible this is the one thing that says we can test him on. I will look for a verse.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:45 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Well ,I make my own money,so I thithe with mine, I don't make much,and I may not have much,but I can tell you one thing,I have always had what I needed,and I am never broke.My husband does'nt go to church.So when he decides to go,that will be his personal choice.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 10:45 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Well for me my dad was a pastor and I saw where the tithe went... so i basically always tithed.. even when I wasn't a Christian.... I still tithed my 10%. I believe because of that I have never been without a job... and when I say never I mean never, I started working when I was 13.. I took time off when I was pregnant and stayed at home for about a year and then started working again.

I also have noticed when times were tight and my faith waivered (ok, I'm human not perfect and it happens - LOL), I found my money didn't go as far with the 100% than it did giving God the 10% and me having the 90%.

I say just try it. Read Malachi 3:10 and when giving your tithes remind in prayer of what it says... that He will open the windows of heaven and poor out a blessing.

Hope this helps.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 11:23 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Bonn777: This is so true. It seems if your money is like sand with the 100% but everything gets paid and them some left with your 90.
    mommiejay453

Answer by mommiejay453 at 11:25 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• When we first started going to church we were living pretty much paycheck to paycheck. but it does say that God takes care of even the little birds..He sent His son to die so I can be forgiven.. thats a pretty big investment in me..He didnt give His only animal for all the creatures of the world but they are taken care of.. its just my way of thinking but it works. My hubby and I went through a difference of opinion on tithing at first and even though we didnt first give the full ten percent, God began blessing us more than we could imagine. Even through paying for family funerals, my cancer treatments, and other expenses, we are still blessed to have a decent savings. God provides. Of this I am sure. Just pray for your hubby and tithe what you can now. (You can also tithe with your time, and helping others until hubby comes around.) Dont try to force him, just lead by example and God will work on his heart. Praying 4 U!
    Tzutchka

Answer by Tzutchka at 11:34 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Well, first off, Jesus wants us to tithe. That's all part of being a Christian.

Second, tithing actually doesn't have to have anything to do with church. Tithing is all about charity - giving with a loving heart to the glory of God. It CAN be giving to your church . . . but it can also be donating to a local charity, taking food to a food bank, giving clothes to a charitable thrift store, or volunteering your time to a worthy cause - all without asking for a receipt for your tax return. See, it doesn't HAVE to even really be a monetary thing. If your DH isn't on board with it, do it yourself. Just tell him that God is telling you that it's something that YOU should do.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:47 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• We began tithing the minute we gave our lives to Christ. That was 10 years ago. In that time, our income has tripled, we were able to buy a much bigger house, and all of our $30,000 debt was paid off. I'm not saying every moment I was "joyfully" giving, but even in the tough times we were faithful and in return this basic principle worked. It's not about Church or giving to man, it's about obedience and doing what God has instructed.

hdb

Answer by hdb at 2:02 PM on Mar. 27, 2009