NY POST and Doctors: Canadian single payer universal healthcare may have played a part in the death of actress Natasha Richardson?

Cody Williams, a Chicago physician, writes in today’s New York Post how the Obama-Goal of a socialized medicine may have played a role in the death of actress Natasha Richardson, who died last week in Canada from a simple injury easily treatable in the United States.
Williams writes, in part:
Canadian health care de-emphasizes widespread dissemination of technology like CT scanners and quick access to specialists like neurosurgeons.
Richardson died of an epidural hematoma — a bleeding artery between the skull and brain that compresses and ultimately causes fatal brain damage via pressure buildup. With prompt diagnosis by CT scan, and surgery to drain the blood, most patients survive.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/03262009/postopinion/opedcolumnists/canadacare_may_have_killed_natasha_161372.htm
Do you consider the possible decline in Access, level, and technology used in medical care when you think of Universal Healthcare?

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 10:37 AM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• First, let me say I don’t know if I agree with all of this article, but it DOES bring to light how the technology, access and level of care is different in socialized medicine nations and how we in the us are the leaders in medical technology, but it comes at a cost.

Another QUESTION: Would you be willing to stick with the current medical system in the US if you could opt out of expensive technologolical procedures to lower your costs?

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:38 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• They didn't even have a helicopter to take her to another hospital. In the US they bring the helicopter to you if there isn't one located in or near your city. Believe me, Ambulance rides are very hard on a sick person and she rode 2 hrs to the next hospital.
    I saw Daniel Hannan of the European Parliment taling to Hannity and he said "Please do not go down that road" after Hannity asked him if the system was good for the people.
    The people for this all think they are going to get free healthcare and that all they care about. They don't realize aside from not being free, it will be compromised and rationed.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:51 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I saw that last night too, itsmesteph. Very interesting, especially in light of all of the pro-UHC responses I have seen on this site. I don't like the idea of UHC, but I do think we need some sort of health care reform.

The second question you ask is interesting grly. I know that you can get major medical coverage, but I have to wonder how it would work in the reverse. Many people don't face major medical issues, but can be nickle and dimed to death with lesser invasive procedures. I will have to think on that a while.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:02 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• As Hannan said it last night on Hannity- UHC is bad for the doctors, the patients AND our tax payers. We would be absolutely crazy to do it.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 11:04 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Didn't the reports state that Richardson opted out of going to the Hospital to be examined after the fall? It wasn't until much later that she realized she needed medical attention.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:07 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• My uncle had a similar injury after a ski trip. He had crap insurance but was flown by helicopter to a hospital that could do the procedure needed to save his life. He is alive and well and wears a helmet when he skis now. I do believe her death would have been prevented had she been in a country where things like helicopters are common for hospitals to have access to in even smaller towns. Such a tragedy for her family especially knowing she should be alive.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• The healthcare plan would be for the uninsured, not for everyone who already has insurance.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:08 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• "Didn't the reports state that Richardson opted out of going to the Hospital to be examined after the fall? It wasn't until much later that she realized she needed medical attention."

About one hour later, I believe.. I was talking to my brother about this who used to be an EMT. There wouldve still been a chance, but not a very good one.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 11:09 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• "The healthcare plan would be for the uninsured, not for everyone who already has insurance. "

Just because someone is uninsured doesnt mean they refuse to treat them the same way as the insured. The point is, the uninsured would have a better chance at living, but just be stuck with a bigger bill. Which would you prefer? To DIE? Or PAY?
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 11:10 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Unfortunately it's not that cut and dry, BExi. There are many who are uninsured who will refuse treatment because of their lack of insurance. They don't have regular check ups and therefore conditions that might be treatable are simply not found early enough.

I don't know what kind of insurance you have but I have Blue Cross and Blue Shield(state plan.) Whenever I undergo a procedure or have a doctor's visit I receive a statement of my benefits and one that it shows me how much a procedure costs and then how much my insurance allows the doctor to bill for said procedure. This is always much, much lower than the initial price because my insurance company does not allow the doctor to bill me for more than their allowed price for said procedure. That's just one way having insurance lowers the cost of medical bills.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:15 AM on Mar. 27, 2009