how much is enough

Morning ladies I was wandering how much everyones 11-12months are eating cause it seems like mine does not want to eat a whole meal he wants to snack all day long and he is still waking up 2-3 times a night to eat no matter what he eats for dinner, is this a normal thing?

Quintensmom

Asked by Quintensmom at 10:39 AM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My 16 month old wakes on average 1-2 times per night. And it is completely normal for them to want to snack all day long. I *personally* don't like for DD to do this. She usually eats 2-3 decent meals, and then has 2 snacks.

Sounds like your LO is doing fine to me :~)
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 10:44 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• My daughter was having some appetite issues around then even still she is having a hard time wanting to eat meals. Seemed like she just wanted snacks. Problem is we give in because we don't want them to go hungry. Dont give them any snacks, this is very hard because they point them out and start to whine, But it is very important to make them actually hungry and then when they are they will eat what you give them. My daughter didn't wake up and want to eat thankfully. She still slept through the night, she would wake up fussing, but i solved that by changin her mattress. Mostly it was just that she wanted the junk she knew she could get and refused to eat any kind of meat. But like I said, Wait until they are truly hungry and then try to give them thier meal. Do your best not to offer any snacks until after they have eaten, It will take some time and patience but eventually they will start realizing this is how it is. Good luc
    Mommyxtwo777

Answer by Mommyxtwo777 at 10:59 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• At about a year, their growth rate slows down a lot so its normal for them to not want to eat a lot. About 1 Tablespoon of each type of food is considered a serving at this age. So for example, at breakfast they might eat 1/2 peice of toast and 1Tbls. cut-up fruit. Then 4-6oz. of breastmilk and/or formula. Plus, older babies and toddlers are really busy so its pretty common for them to just want to 'graze' throughout the day rather than sit down at eat actual meals. I think that a lot of the time, sleeping through the night really doesn't have a lot to do with what they are eating during the day unless they are eating something that is bothering their tummy. HTH.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 11:27 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• This is a typical day for our 11 mo old son. Wake up, take 8 oz formula, 1/2 later or so eat whatever we are eating for breakfast , usually not more than a 1/8 of a cup. Midmorning maybe a few crackers or dried fruit. Lunch a 1/2 sandwich and a couple tbs fruit and 8 oz formula 1/2 hr or so later. A PM snack, maybe a 1/8th of a cup of something. Dinner he eats probably about 1/4 to a 1/2 cup of solids and then an 8oz bottle at bedtime. He also as another 8 oz formula during the day but the times vary.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 2:07 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Ok now marbear98 My lil one only drink about 5ozs at a time and thats on a good day but he drinks water and juice throughout the day so should I worry now?
    Quintensmom

Answer by Quintensmom at 2:15 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Well, when lexi was 11 months she was at breakfast and bottle (well sippy we stop bottles but still 8oz of formula), then sippy at arounfd10-11 then lunch around 1-2, another sippy from 4-5, dinner then sippy before bed. but she slept through the night w/o waking up to eat like at 2-3 months so I guess I am not help for the nighttime. I would say check to see if it its other things that maybe he is waking up for. Maybe he is cold or hot?
    mimi718

Answer by mimi718 at 11:11 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I think...I say I think cuz I can't remember but at that age they need like 24oz of formula, I say if he isn't getting that in formula then dont offer the juice, cuz sometimes they get filled up on fluids and not food
    mimi718

Answer by mimi718 at 11:12 PM on Apr. 3, 2009