What do they teach in Kindergarden now?

Im curious to know what they are learning in Kindergarden since it seems like most kids know letter/number recognition by age 3-4 & are learning how to read by age 4.
The only Kindergarden memory I have was learning letter/number recognition. we read alot & played alot.

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 10:44 AM on Mar. 27, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well,we teach them letters, proper sounds, putting them together to make words, rhyming, first and last sounds, sight words(we do send them home), comprehension,we teach them to read, numbers, sets, recognizing numbers on sight,and patterns and sooooo much more.They have art, computer, pe, music, media as resource. They do not have alot of time to play, they have one recess per day,but so does all the other grades, its state mandated.They have so much to learn to be ready for 1st grade.(its like this, they need to know in K what we learned years ago in first grade) We do not teach them to tie their shoes, that should be done at home before they even go to Kindergarten.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 4:29 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Some kids learn to read, they learn to write and correct way to hold a pencil, tie shoes, cutting, glueing, couting ot 100...
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:57 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• In our K program it's recognition of letters, and ABC's, reading, socializing, writing, some math counting to at least 50, but try to achieve 100 by school yr end. Also colors, word recognition and word combo (that is using a word in it's proper context) ... Also there is computer time and lab... there is also learning of the Seasons, self care, days of the week, they also use calendars in class to keep track of school activities... there is a lot ...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:09 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Our school sent home a packet of what to expect and what they will learn, including what they should already know.
    amy1mom23

Answer by amy1mom23 at 11:18 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Generally, they teach what you remember learning in 1st grade - reading, addition, subtraction.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:07 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Depends on the school. My 6yo is in kindergarten and my son did kindergarten last year. They do a letter of the week, have story time, lots of free play time (it's a full day and at least 20 minutes is spent playing). Their class room has all sorts of fun centers (they call them) that have art supplies, dirt for planting, etc. Towards the end of the year they start doing simple addition up to #5 and are learning to count to 100. They don't send sight words home but they work on them some at school at the end of the year. They mostly focus on letter sounds and are no working on money in math.
    My oldest went to a different school for kindergarten, went half day and they did way more. They were doing sight words from day one, practicing correct writing, adding from day one, etc. She was reading at a 2nd grade level by the end of the school year. My son is in 1st and still has trouble reading.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:51 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• reading is still something they learn in first grade. i do know that they do "popcorn words" (sight words) in kindergarten around here.

i would talk to your school and see what the curriculum is. everywhere seems to be differen from what i can tell. i know that my SS is in preschool. he has been practicing how to write his name. he can spell it out loud. they practice writing one letter a week and do other little things, but nothing major.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 5:46 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• This website should be helpful to you. It is the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills for Kindergarten. Every state has a website of what the teacher is suppose to teach for every grade level and for every subject.  http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/teks/grade/Kindergarten.pdf

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:45 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• My son is kindergarden and he is already reading, writting, counting coins and dollar bills. They teach them the correct names of the shapes. It admazes me when I hear him reading. At times I think that he is learning to much to fast. Then again most likely I am just not ready for him to grow up!

2kidsjk

Answer by 2kidsjk at 10:45 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• http://www.worldbook.com/wb/Students?curriculum

A link to the typical course of study for each grade level.

ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:04 AM on Mar. 28, 2009