slimfast while breastfeeding?

Does anyone know if this is safe?
Would you suggest it?

shessohippie

Asked by shessohippie at 11:04 AM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't think so. You should be eating a well balanced diet while breastfeeding and not trying to lose too much weight. I know people that have a lot of tummy issues with it and they aren't even breastfeeding. If you are trying to lose weight then I would try and cut back on portions first. GL!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 11:08 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Hon, if you are breastfeeding you just naturally lose weight, you don't need Slim Fast. Plus what you eat is what your baby gets in the breastmilk.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 11:10 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• That's not true. When you are breastfeeding you actually retain about 5lbs of water weight and not to mention that you won't lose weight while breastfeeding because you are suppose to consume more calories while BF than when you were pregnant. No op, I would not say that taking any kind of meal replacement for good nutrition is good when breastfeeding.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 11:15 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• hahah I havent lost any weight from breastfeeding! Been doing it almost 8 months now =(
    But yea I agree probably no slim fast while bfing
    mrslloyd

Answer by mrslloyd at 11:30 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• A lot of women drop a lot right at the beginning of bf, but then their bodies hand on to just a little bit (or a lot) until they wean. I've been tempted to do some weight loss stuff, but I've thought it better to hold off until she weans or at least until she's old enough that the breast milk is just a good something extra on top of a complete, well-balanced diet of table food!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:35 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• if u look at the FAQ on their website it says its ok
    doosti

Answer by doosti at 11:39 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• The actual drink is not bad to have while breastfeeding but it's not a good idea to use it as weight loss method while breastfeeding.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:39 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• It won't hurt the baby or anything, but, if you use it to replace meals, your health will suffer.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:47 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I started Jenny Craig while breast feeding and I'll tell you that you have to consume more calories than you think to lose weight. I wasn't losing weight when I started Jenny and they had me INCREASE my calorie intake to 2300-2600 calories a day (I thought they were crazy) and once I had increased my calories for about two weeks, I started losing about 2.5 lbs a week. So, it is possible to lose weight while breastfeeding but it is tricky. Your body NEEDS A LOT of calories and if you're not getting enough, your body will go into survival mode and shut down the fat burning process so that it has what it needs to produce breast milk. Its also really important to get a balanced diet in - you need to eat dairy, fats, starches (whole grains) and lean protein. I wouldn't think slimfast would be the best option but if you're careful, I don't think it'll hurt you. Good Luck.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:47 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• It is safe. I recently checked it out myself. However I know from your other posts that you want to lose weight. You should not use it to replace meals while breastfeeding. You can use it as a healthy snack but thats it. The ingredients are safe, but to replace meals to lose weight is not!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:14 PM on Mar. 27, 2009