2 months old

when is it okay to start putting a little cereal in your babys bottle? right now my son is a little over 2 months and he is a really good eater.. i feel like he needs a little something to hold him over.. is anytime to soon?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Talk with your pedi about it. Usually only add cereal to the bottle if there is a reflux issue.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 11:10 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• 4-6months is when it is advised to start solids.
    Cereal should never be put in a baby's bottle it is a choking hazard.
    At this age they simple need many small meals through out the day. They have tiny stomachs and are going through a huge growth spurt. Cereal won't change this.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 11:13 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• You should never add cereal to a bottle.
    If baby is needing more then give him more formula or breastmilk or whatever he's eating, not cereal or any other kind of solid food.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:38 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• You aren't supposed to at all.
    If you are hoping that by giving him "a little something to hold him over" he will sleep all night, guess again. It does not matter what or how a baby is fed. He will sleep through the night when he is ready. Breastfed babies, formula fed, cereal fed - it does not matter. Neither is more likely to sleep all night than the other.
    And remember, early foods aren't given for the nutrirional value and calories. They are given to teach the baby how to eat and to let him play with differernt textures. A baby's food is milk.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:45 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• first of all i have two children and i had to put cereal in my sons bottle about 2 months old fur to acid reflux, but then we found out that he didn't have acid refux at all so my point is it doesn't hurt them at all. he is know 5 years old and not over weight and every healthy. my second child she was a preemie and i waited to start her on cereal at around four months old. and i only gave both of my child cereal on there night bottle , NOT in every bottle.good luck hope it helps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• A baby's stomach is about the size of their tiny fists, which is why they can't take too much formula or BM at one time. If there is no medical reason (reflux) to give them anything other then BM or formula at that age, I wouldn't.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 1:50 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Some people say don't start too early but my son was 3 month when I started him on rice cereal and he is totally fine!
    Anonymous

• Read this article before you do: Baby Bottles and Cereal http://www.drgreene.com/21_861.html

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends against adding cereal to the bottle.  You will find lots of moms who gave baby ceral in the bottle (for reflux, or because they wanted to) and their baby is now "fine".  Just because their baby did not have a negative reaction does not mean that your baby won't.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:14 PM on Mar. 27, 2009