Bumped heads minor problem or major worry

Oh let me clarify...He is a dare devil now, there's nooooooo stopping him from climbing on the couch etc and then occasionally rolling off. It's not that I'm laying him someplace and he rolls off and bumps his head. He'll play with a push toy and trip over it and bump his head...I know that's just part of them being this age, I was just wondering if anyone else was feeling more worried about it than before.

ccdk207

Asked by ccdk207 at 11:29 AM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he wants to fall asleep afterwards or gets a large goose egg looking bump, you might want to call and speak with the nurse at your doc office. If he's generally knocked out cold, I'd probably go to the ER. But most bumps, for my kids at least, have been very minor.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 11:37 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• i have a dare devil, too! she has so much energy and can climb like a monkey. in the last couple months, this has resulted in soooo many head bruises, swollen lips, cuts, scrapes, and even a really bad bloody nose (that was last week and now there's an icky yellow bruise all around her nose. thank god its not broken).
    i worry a lot, but there's not a whole lot we can do i guess. other than chastising them for every little move they make that might be dangerous. and thats exhausting for mama AND baby.
    hopefully, they just grow out of it.
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 11:38 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I try to always base my reaction off of his reaction. Does he seem to be off balance, like he's having trouble walking straight? Are his pupils dialating properly? Can he blink his eyes, wiggle his fingers and toes when asked? If I can say no to any of those, then I would take him to the er.

For the most part, he gets up and goes back to playing. Sometimes he'll cry for a few minutes, but once he's had some kisses and hugs he's up and at it. I watch him for about half an hour, and if he still seems fine, I'll ask him if his head is hurting any. If he says yes, I'll get him some tylenol, but usually he says no.

I know a lot of moms say "its better safe than sorry" and to just go to the er, but for me, I just use some common sense. If you ever get a very bad feeling, take him in, or just call the er and explian to the nurse what happened and how he is behaving afterwards and she will give you a recommendation.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 11:51 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• ofcourse when it first happens you worry, keep looking at the bumb, my dd bumbed her head and i was very upset with my mom, not that she was neglegent just upset that it happened, i even cancelled plans, ashamed of what people would think, i had to realize kids fall and bum there heads all the time, it's just apart of live, however i tell her to be careful watch where she is going, she never listen, i guess terrible two's is on the way.
    mememommie

Answer by mememommie at 1:51 PM on Mar. 27, 2009