What do you think the chances of my son being allergic to cats

we found out my 10 month old son was allergic to the dog we got for x-mas so we had to find her a new home we were thinking about adopting 2 older cats there 12 years old but we dont want to if he will be allergic to cats anyone know what the chances are that he would be

Haileysmommy107

Asked by Haileysmommy107 at 11:30 AM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Pets

• Well, there are a couple different ways to find out. You can have a full allergy panel (blood work) done that includes other common dander allergies, you can take him to the humane society or pound and have him around a cat for a little bit and see if he reacts, try a family member or friends house that has cats.

And as far as the dog is concerned, there is a chance that he will grow out of it. My girlfriends daughter was allergic to cats they realized at about 2 months, and now that she is 2 years she doesn't react anymore to them and they are shopping for a kitten.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:35 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I would take him to a friends house that has a cat and let him pet, touch and play with it.... I volunteer for a cageless cat shelter in my area and the first time i brought my oldest boy with me within 5 minutes of walking into the place he had a runny and stuffed up nose... minor allergy. But i have 2 cats and a dog and he doesnt have that problem at home.. So my son is only allergic to cats when there are more that 75 in a room...lol
    itsokmomshere

Answer by itsokmomshere at 12:52 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Both good answers. I though of the same things. Yo
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 2:05 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I think the chances are high. Skin dander is the worst for causing allergies.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 6:06 PM on Mar. 27, 2009