Fenugreek? Mother's milk tea?

Has anyone tried these or anything else to boost their milk supply? Did they work for you? Were they safe? Have you heard any side effects? My doctor is out of the office til Monday but I was thinking about trying something to boost my supply because my baby is going through a growth spurt and I'm having a hard time keeping up.

kabbot01

Asked by kabbot01 at 11:43 AM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I took some when I was trying to bf, it helped a little but not nearly enough.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 12:38 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Really, the best thing for a growth spurt is just to nurse on demand. Not that Mothers Milk Tea or Fenugreek will hurt, but it's probably not necessary.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:46 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• What Krysta said.
    It just takes a little time for your body to adjust when baby is going through a growth spurt.

As far as side effects, fenugreek can sometimes cause excess gas or even loose stools when taken in large quantities for a prolonged period of time. It can also make you smell like maple syrup.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:48 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I drank a Nursing Tea when I was nursing with all kinds of ingredients (fenugreek, fennel, chamomile, etc.) and no, I don't think it helped with my milk supply but I do think it helped settle baby's tummy. My daughter used to get bad gas and upset tummy and when I drank that tea every day, she was MUCH better.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:49 AM on Mar. 27, 2009