Need to up my breast milk production, Can it be done?

My daughter was 3 weeks early and very sluggish to start. She lost weight the first 2 weeks and now at 1 month she got back to birth weight and gained an additional 5 oz. She was not feeding long and was hard to wake once asleep. I went from engorged constantly and needing to pumping lots to now I am getting ready for my return to work and want to continue breastmilk in a bottle so I am pumping and having a hard time getting 2-3 oz evry 3-31/2 hours. Am I too far gone or can i get my production back up???? HELP I AM VERY STRESSED!!!

SophiasMom0226

Asked by SophiasMom0226 at 11:50 AM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can always increase your production. Is your daughter feeding at the breast or are you just pumping? The amount you're pumping sounds normal, actually. I would try to pump every 2 hours if possible. You'll get less at a time but it will tell your body to keep producing. It's normal to produce less over time... going back to work can feel like a losing battle. If you're nursing now, try to pump right after baby nurses ... if she goes to bed before you (maybe not yet at one month), you can pump an hour or two after that (if she's sleeping a stretch of a few hours at least at the start of the night). Some breast milk is better than none, so keep it up even if you can't exclusively breastfeed. I had to do a combination of formula and breastmilk after going to work, but some women do manage to keep up. Check out the cafemom group "Breastfeeding moms" there's a lot of good advice there.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:58 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• It's hard to increase pumping output, but it CAN be done. Look for a pumping moms group, if there is not one on here, there IS one on MySpace.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:28 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I was told to pump after feeding the baby to stimulate your breasts and up your milk supply. Also drink lots of water, get your rest oh and the stress isn't helping. Good luck momma!
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 1:53 PM on Mar. 27, 2009