Scared to death to have Baby #2

We have a 2 and a half year old little boy and just adore our family of 3. We have always known we want a sibling for our son, so I went off the pill a few months ago and just prayed that God would bless us when the time was right. I found out last night that I am 4 weeks pregnant. Upon seeing the results, I immediately began crying because of the change this will bring to us. My son and I are "buddies," and I fear that he will be DEVASTATED by the baby. I feel like a whack job because I know I should be soooo excited! Please help!

TiffaniR

Asked by TiffaniR at 12:04 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yeah, we decided to start trying, got preg. the first month of trying, and cried upon finding out. It all sounds impossible right now, all of it (dealing with 2, but also the changes to your family dynamics). My daughter was only 7 months when I got pregnant, so I felt like an awful mother depriving her of her alone time with her parents (they're 15 months apart). But you have nine months in front of you to get to know your new baby, get your big kid ready, make a new place in your hearts... You'll be really excited (and scared, and sad in a way, too) when the baby comes, but it will bring you so much joy. Even if you can't see it now. Don't worry about how you "should" feel right now, embrace your feelings, but rest assured that you'll love your new baby AND your big boy more than ever. Just wait until that first ultrasound.... I promise, you'll find the excitement! Congratulations!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:16 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I think every parent that has 1 shild and is adding a second child feels some form of this. I know I did. You have 9 months to be with your special boy. And use that time to prepare you and him for the new bundle of joy you're bringing into your family. I have two sons now. One is almost 5 and the other just turned 1 year. When the baby comes it will change things but that is the choice you chose. You can love and show them both the love and attention they need. It really is great. And they also will have a special bond between them that is so joyful! Good luck and congrats on your bun in the oven!
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 1:35 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• i know how you feel...I have a 21 month old daughter and I am 23 weeks preggo with a baby boy. I felt horrible because my daughter and I are so close. But I have been explaing to her that we are going to have a baby. I try to include her in on it all so she wont feel left out. I finally got excited about the situation when I saw that she realizes now that there will be another baby around.
    Anonymous