Introducing Baby Foods.

So I will be introducing my baby to baby foods this weekend and just have a few questions. I have already gave him rice cereal for about a month and I know you are suppose to to wait a week in between foods and give the veggies first. What vegetable is the best to give them first? Im assuming the baby doesnt eat the whole jar--how much do you give them? What do you do with the leftovers so that it doesnt get contaminated? How many times a day do you give it to them? Does it come with a bottle (if so should it be a full bottle?) or is it instead of a bottle?

Obviously I am a first timer, lol, so any answers, tips, advice would be so appreciated!

AdensMommy1107

Asked by AdensMommy1107 at 12:04 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Carrots or sweet potatoes are great. I've never had a problem having them like veggies even with starting with pears or bananas, though. With my first daughter I was super worried about contamination, allergies, etc. I would pour just a little into a little bowl and never save what the spoon had touched, and throw the original container out after 2 days. (I also used to sterilize my breastpump accessories every time!). I waited a full week between each new food. With my second, I'm more relaxed. I feed her directly out of the container, keep the food up to 3 days, and only wait about 3 days before starting a new food. If your baby doesn't react to the first few, the stage 1 fruits and veggies are all pretty benign. I know you want to be careful and do what's best... but don't freak out if you realize your baby had peas 5 days after carrots. I would offer bottle first, then 30-60 minutes later a feeding of solids.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:11 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I bought the glass jars and emptied a little in a bowl - you shouldn't feed him right from the jar because if they don't finish, you cannot refigerate the rest because the saliva from the spoon will form bacteria and it will no longer be good - but they will usually tell you when they've had enough - I think I introduced green beans to my son first. but make sure to feed them the same things for a min of 3 days -my ped even said a week to make sure they aren't allergic -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:26 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I've always followed the 4 day wait rule. Most doctors agree that if an allergy hasn't presented itself within 4 days, you're good. I made my own baby food (very easy and kind of fun) so I would just defrost an ice cube size full for each feeding and gradually work up to more cubes at a meal. Most people give solids followed by a bottle or nursing. However, you have to go with what works for your baby. Breastmilk or formula is still the primary source of nutrition. You don't want them eating so much solid food that they're not getting enough milk...so if they're a little over indulgent on the solids, you might want to do bottle first. Once my daughter got a little older, I would do solid food meals and bottle "snacks" (full bottle a couple hours later). There really isn't a wrong way...just the way that works best for baby. Baby food is good in the fridge for 3-4 days as long as you heat it to steaming before feeding.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 1:27 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I don't think it matters what you start with. We have 2 boys. Our first started with fruits our second with veggies. I agree alot with the 1st post. Except, we feed/fed out of the container or sometimes add some in with the rice cereal. I would feed a bottle after the food. 3 days is all I keep it in the fridge for then use it or toss it. We started with once a day. If you have any more ?'s let me know. I would be happy to help if you need. Just send me a message. Good Luck Momma!
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 1:28 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• They say if a baby is old enough for solids, most times they will turn their head away when they are full. You didn't say how old, but any solids before a year are practice and they are getting their nutrients from BM or formula so solids should not replace those. We give our son his regular 8 ozs first, wait about a 1/2 hr then feed solids so he doesn't fill up and not take his formula in the morning. Then for lunch we feed solids first and about an hour later he his ready for another bottle. He eats solids for dinner and then a bottle at bedtime. The time varies day to day, but he usually takes a bottle during the day too that is not too close to any meal time.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 1:45 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I don't see why you're in a rush to start him on food when he's only 4 months old. Wait until he starts asking for it- showing interest in what you're eating (not to be confused with just wanting to put everything in his mouth), able to sit up unassisted, loss of the tounge-thrust reflex, ability to let you know when he's full (i.e turning head away from bottle or breast). Babies go through a growth spurt at 4 months old, so just because he may be super hungry right now doesn't mean he's not fully satisified with formula or breastmilk.

Their digestive systems aren't fully developed at 4 months, and solids can be hard on the tummy.

They're only little once- no need to rush them to grow up.

Anonymous