• In the Spotlight:

my 3 yr old just had surgery to get his tonsils and adenoids out,so we've been spoiling him by letting him 2 or 3 ice pops at a time leting him eat the stuff thats easy for him to swallow such as oodles of noodles and jello and my 5 yr old thinks he can get the same- now to an extent i have let him in on the treats such as when the 3 yr old wants an ice pop i give them both one- but when he goes for the second i tell the 5 yr old no because hes not the one in pain-

now the problem is that he thinks that my 3 yr old is getting so much attention so hes starting to do everything my 3 yr old does- EVERYTHING! its getting to be really annoying! and if i even look like im talking or playing with the 3 yr old my 5 yr old jumps in and starts doing something to make my attention go on him- now ive already told him that his brother is getting special treatment because he just had surgery and i remind him of the special treatment he got when he went through surgery and hell say he knows and he understands but then the jealousy starts right back up- ive even been trying my best to give the 5 yr old a little extra attention but that seems to make it worse and ive tried ignoring him when he starts coppying his brothers actions and giving him attention when he does something unique but im at my wits end and ready to scream every time he starts up- i dont know wut to do- any ideas?

lovelyli217

Asked by lovelyli217 at 12:16 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think you are doing the right thing with the pops but I would try to give my 5 yr old like something special too, like maybe make his favorite food or something to make him feel like he's getting special treatment , I know it will be hard but as soon as the little one is better it should get better.
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 12:20 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• How long to plan on babying your 3 year old? I would tell your older son that because he is being such a big boy that you are taking him out on a special day next weekend. Get a babysitter for the 3 year old and you and hubby take your son to the zoo or whatever is in your area. Mark it on a calendar and do a "count down" making his time for being a big boy a "big deal".
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 9:01 AM on Mar. 28, 2009