How do I get my 5 month old to go in her crib for daytime naps?

Ok Ok I know I conditioned her to be like this but I need help to kick this habit. I am a stay at home mom to a 5 month old. I hold her (in the rocking chair usually) everytime she naps. She falls asleep there BFing and I just read a book or something. I have tried to put her in her crib but she wakes up if not right away then within 5 minutes and cries. I try to get her back to sleep and then put her back down but she just wakes up again and it leads to a tired, cranky and miserable mommy as well as baby.
We have a bedtime routine: bath, little massage, jammies, story, and nursing while in rocking chair. When she falls asleep I can put her in her crib no problem. Sometimes she'll wake up but I just rock her back to sleep and she sleeps at least 6 hours, usually 8. But she will not go down during the day.
I dont want to let her cry it out but this habit has got to be kicked. HELP

BunintheOven1

Asked by BunintheOven1 at 12:25 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sorry but with my kids they learned to sleep in their crib. Just let her cry it out. She will get tired of crying and fall asleep. She has to realize that the crib is where she naps.
    Anonymous

• My son had trouble napping too. My husband looked online and found some suggestions. We put up curtains in his room to make it dark for naptime. We made sure he had a clean diaper, and had a full tummy and put him in his crib awake. We would say naptime everytime we put him down to. He would cry. The first time was for 30 minutes. Then he fell asleep for a lengthy nap. The second time was only 10 minutes and then again asleep for a lengthy nap. And the last time was 2-5 mintues and had then the same. And now I put him down naptime or bedtime when he is awake with no fuss. It was hard to hear him cry but it didn't hurt him and taught him he has to sleep in his bed when it is time to. I would try doing this like on a weekend or on days that someone can me there to help you ...NOT LOSE YOUR MIND! : D Good luck momma!
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 1:12 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I know you don't want to but I had to let my son cry it out also - not til after he was 6 months old though.. remember, she just has not learned to self sooth during the day and naptime and bedtime are two totally different schedules - just because she can sleep fine at night means nothing for her naps - she just needs to be taught - the only way to teach sometimes is letting her cry - they have a great book i followed and my child had sleep issues since brith - healthy sleep habits, happy child -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:12 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I thought I was the only one with this problem!
    Blueberryplz

Answer by Blueberryplz at 1:24 PM on Mar. 27, 2009