Is there anyway you can stop a garneshment for student loans?

My hubby has been getting garnished for his student loan he had barely defaulted on the loan and they are barking down his neck. We cant afford this garnishment with the price of gas and food. He sent in extra info to get it reduced but it was only $20. He wanted to work out something but they are not cooperating at all. I know its because of all this "recession" crap. Can anyone help with any ideas or any good suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Money & Work

• Once they have a garnishment in place, I don't think it is too likely they will drop it. The only thing I can suggest is that he calls them and tries to work something out. Things are rough all around. Good luck!
    pam

Answer by pam at 11:24 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• You can attempt to file a "claim of exemption" with your local court. You have to show the hardship it is causing on your family however. GL!
    New2WAHJ

Answer by New2WAHJ at 11:26 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• i suspect the garnishment is coming thru a third party collector. you might want to go to the original lender. they would be more apt to working something out that is more within your means. this lets them know that you do intend to pay.
    Chelsea31

Answer by Chelsea31 at 12:06 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Did you try a hardship deferment? My loans are on that right now.
    smileysmama

Answer by smileysmama at 2:00 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• You have to convince the loan company to take it off garnishment. Once that is in place ONLY the loan company can remove it.
    SensualScents

Answer by SensualScents at 2:46 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Student loans are tricky  & if they are Federal Loans like Stafford Loans do not plan on getting an FHA loan for home purchase.... As this will affect you on applying for any government loans..

Also if you have any money coming due from your IRS returns now or in the future and the student loan isn't satisfied they will take that too.  The only thing I can suggest is make sure they are taking out the right amount and what type of interest is incurring while his garnishments are being taken as they may increased the interest rate too.. Pull your credit reports..

michaelsmom2005

Answer by michaelsmom2005 at 5:12 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• a Default IS a default there are NO degree's of default. He broke a legal promise. It's the defaulters who drive up the rates for people trying to get student loans today.........barely defaulted....thats like saying I barely defaulted on my mortgage payment cause i only missed 2 payments out of 30 years of payments.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:38 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• are you trying to get a loan and think that defaulters are driving up rates get over it now a days it is getting hard to pay anything everything gets more expensive this sucks. Vbruno she asked for help not to be scorned i hate cafemom because of people like you.

Anonymous