what would be the best bird

Ok ladies I was wanting to get a bird for the family but I dont know what type of bird I know that we want one that is kinda like an african grey that can actually talk but not sure which one would be better and I have to mention that I have a 1 year old boy who is very curious and also have a dog but the dog loves anything I bring into the house so that wont be a problem I just worry about how the bird will interact with a toddler and I heard that getting them young is good is this true?

Quintensmom

Asked by Quintensmom at 12:30 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Pets

• I'd suggest starting out simple with a parakeet or two. They're cheap, hardy, and can learn to talk.

Parrots are VERY pricy and any bird takes extensive training to learn to talk --- so just buying one that's more prone to talking doesn't mean they ever will.

With any bird, don't let your dog or your son be too 'curious' with them. Tapping on the cage, fingers through the bars, giant wet noses sniffing up the feathers are all stress birds don't need & can cause the premature demise in your feathered friend.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:48 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Keep in mind that parrots can live upwards of 75 years,and are alot of hard work.Are you set to deal with that?Birds have to be written into wills because they live so long! I'd get a parakeet.We have 2 and they are loads of fun[and only live10-15 years!]
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 12:54 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I do know that they tend to live forever cause my in-laws have two african greys and they are great birds BUT they are just mom and dad birds so I am prepared to take time daily to train and work with a bird but little birds like (coniers)??? I dont want to deal with
    Quintensmom

Answer by Quintensmom at 1:02 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• We had a parrotlet a "mini parrot" (until his untimly murder from the family cat he flew right into the cats face NOT GOOD) he was so friendly and cute. They can learn to talk ours would mimic the dog and they live 15-20 years. We will get another one someday because we had such a wonderful time with the one we had. And they range from 150-300 $ and only need a smaller cage. They also arn't as loud as most other birds.
    Fordmomma

Answer by Fordmomma at 3:28 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I had a quaker parrot, and I raised him from when he was born! My dad knew the pet store owner so I was allowed to go in and formula feed "clyde" since birth with a syringe! He was AWESOME! Very little, and gentle. He would always have to be wherever I was, and follow me around the house. If I was in the shower so was clyde! They are very pretty, and very smart. He was the sweetest little bird! I loved him to death! He loved playing peek-a-boo as well. If you want a talkative bird and a small one at that I would consider maybe a quaker! I have been searching around for one again! Good Luck with your choice!

ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 4:49 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• African greys are awesome birds to have, but they do take a lot of work. They need as much attention as your 1 year old probably does, because they are highly intelligent and need the attention. If you really want to go with this breed of bird or any bird for that matter, try to find a breeder before you go with a pet store and meet the birds before you bring one home. Just like any critter, every bird has they're own personality and some will take to you and your family better than others. They can learn to talk and they will though not always what you may want them to learn. if you get a younger bird know that they will not really start to say actual words until they're at least 1 year old.
    This being said, if you have the patience and time for one, an african grey really is great. I absolutely love mine and he gets along great with anyone. I hope this helps some ^_^ good luck
    Tigress0717

Answer by Tigress0717 at 6:38 PM on Mar. 27, 2009