how to deal with a toddler with autism

I am a grandmother who thinks that my grandson has autism. My daughter is very upset about this and has all kinds of questions. SHe does agree that he may have it . An appointment was made for and evaluation, but we are both concern and want to know if there is something we can be doing until with go to the doctor. Anyone out there dealing with a child with autism that may be able to help us.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try passing this site to her.

http://www.autismspeaks.org/

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 12:43 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I don't have diagnoses yet, but we're looking at two of ours being on the autism spectrum. It's a long process, and I can only suggest be a strong advocate. Read every report. Start a notebook and put every scrap of paper regarding the boy in it. Start a journal and record his behaviors, no matter how trivial you think it is. (by "you" I mean you and/or your daughter)

Talk to all of his caregivers....teachers, other relatives, anyone who spends time with him and have them write up a little something about what they notice about him...good or bad.

Read every report and make notes of ANY discrepancies! I had one evaluator who evaluated my 4 year old as a 3 year old...um...HUGE mistake!!! Even if the date is off by one day, demand a corrected copy of the report.

Call your local Early Intervention if you think he has speech, gross or fine motor skill delays or anything else.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:37 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Cont...

They will offer any therapy services that will help with his delays, and those reports will also help with his overall assessment. (here, getting EI help is much faster than getting in to see a developmental pediatrician!)

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:38 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• The best book I think I ever read on autism is "10 things every child with autism wishes you knew" I suggest you check it out or buy it. It's a very popular book, you can find it almost anywhere.
    dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 3:45 AM on Mar. 28, 2009