unChristian

From www.unchristian.com:

"CHRISTIANITY HAS AN IMAGE PROBLEM

Christians are supposed to represent Christ to the world. But according to the latest report card, something has gone terribly wrong. Using descriptions like “hypocritical,” “insensitive,” and “judgmental,” young Americans share an impression of Christians that’s nothing short of . . . unChristian.

Groundbreaking research into the perceptions of sixteen- to twenty-nine-year-olds reveals that Christians have taken several giant steps backward in one of their most important assignments. The surprising details of the study, commissioned by Fermi Project and conducted by The Barna Group, are presented with uncompromising honesty in unChristian . . ."

Christians and Non Christians,
what are your thoughts on this?

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 12:58 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have to agree... Today's youth have a more broader view point on Religion than their parents/grandparents do... They see things with a more open mindedness... and when religion pressures them to believe or act a certain way, these youths/this generation will walk away. I have read many articles that say the now generation of Church goers are not going, that they are preaching more hate than love within the walls of their or any Church. That some still believe in Jesus/God but would rather not be a part of organized religion and some have changed beliefs and others have stopped believing all together all bc of what is being preached AT them. Christians need to be more like this generation of youths become more open minded of the entire world and not to criticize or judge others for what they lack or don't believe. I am NOT saying that all Christians fit in this sec. but there are good portion of them that do. (JMO)
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 1:47 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I couldn't believe how true I found this to be. As a Christian, I am often appalled at how others perceive us, and I realize that it's all our fault (as a society). Christians DO have the tendency to be overly judgmental, and COMPLETELY hypocritical - these are the sole reasons why I don't attend church. Christ wants us to show His love through attitude and actions. So many Christians have completely forgotten this, it saddens me.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 1:01 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I agree with you. I used to be one of those hypocritical Christians, as were my friends. But our friendships all got messed up and ended over being hypocrites. So now I definitely TRY to never act that way.

Not all Christians are like this though. When we first found the church we go to, I totally had preconceived opinions about how I thought the people there would act. I was blown away by how amazing the people were. NO judgement and nothing but nice and welcoming people all around.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 1:11 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Not all Christians are like this though.

They're not. The problem is the ones who are, are also the loudest.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:42 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I think that Non Christians are to critical and expect us to be perfect. I'm not saying there aren't bad ones, but come on. Don't group us all together.

hdb

Answer by hdb at 1:56 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

I don't expect anyone to be perfect. I do expect them to be polite and civil.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:02 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• gmasboy:

You make such a great point. That is the problem with the church the way I see it - non-Christians are being preached at which turns them farther away from Christ.

The point is, all are welcome to Christ's love, just as you are. He loves you always, no matter what you've done in the past. And screaming at someone that they're "going to hell" is NOT the way to "win souls", to coin a phrase.

hdb:

You also make a wonderful point. A lot of non Christians DO judge us on a whole, simply because of how some chose to act. And, as NotPanicking pointed out, those are usually the loudest.

So that being said, do you think that the judgments go both ways then? SOME Christians are overly judgmental of non-Christians and some non-Christians are overly judgmental of Christians?
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:05 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• So that being said, do you think that the judgments go both ways then? SOME Christians are overly judgmental of non-Christians and some non-Christians are overly judgmental of Christians?

Absolutely, I get judged for being Christian from non-Christians and I get judged by Christians for not being Christian enough

hdb

Answer by hdb at 2:07 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I don't expect anyone to be perfect. I do expect them to be polite and civil.

I agree with you and I'm not saying that you are wrong, but why are we held to such high standards? Why is it so hard for some to grasp not all people who say they are Christians...are?

hdb

Answer by hdb at 2:09 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• "Why is it so hard for some to grasp not all people who say they are Christians...are?"

Another good point. I remember another post not so long ago where someone mentioned the KKK as being a "Christian" group. Well, just because they say they're Christian, doesn't mean they are. Actions speak louder than words, and the KKK's actions are decidedly NOT Christian.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:13 PM on Mar. 27, 2009