Not really a question... but kinda...

Seriously, is it possible for you to "go backwards"??? Last week I was 2cm and 50% effaced... Sunday I was 2 cm 25% effaced and then yesterday the NP said that I was only 1cm and 50% effaced. WTH is going on?? I've been contracting for almost 2 weeks now (they will last an hour and then stop... for no reason... then start again after about 30 min or so) I just want labor to happen. I'm so ready!

MunchiesMom324

Asked by MunchiesMom324 at 1:12 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes it is. Ina May, a midwife on the farm, has actually seen people regress in labor. Vaginal Exams have always played a big role in those regressions. Also, it could be that they measured wrong. 1-2 cm can easily be mistaken depending on finger size of the person doing the exam.

Stop getting vaginal exams, they wont tell you anything productive and can only be discouraging right now. Labor can stop and start for awhile. Many women go through this for weeks before having their child!

Try and not think about it. Take a bath, get some sleep, do an activity like shopping to distract you. Don't think about labor, and it will happen. The more you worry about it, the more stressed your body will be. It can be frustrating but try and not even think about it! :)

Good luck, it will happen before you know it!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 1:17 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• ya if they stop then your cervix can close a little . sucks but youll get there lol
    Anonymous

• yes, happened to me with my daughter. i went backwards. doc said she went up high again...and wasn't putting pressure on my cervix to dialate me anymore. i was induced at 40 w & 2 d, (wasn't dialated at that point, 85% effaced, -3 station). After a long, hard, painful augmented labor, I ended up with a c-section. Contractions were so strong but only got to 4cm after 16 hours...she just didn't want to come down during contractions and I felt like she was going through the canal and I was much further dialated...but, no. However you'll have your baby, congrats, it will be here soon!
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 2:44 PM on Mar. 27, 2009