Live in a mobile home? what do you do during a storm?

Next week we (Me, SO, son and cat) will be living in a double-wide mobile home. Well today we were issued a severe thunderstorm and tornado watch (in fact it is pouring right now). the announcers described the safety precautions: "stay away from windows, go to the basement...etc). well the mobile home has no basement. what do you do during a severe thunderstorm or tornado? BTW there are no "homes" in the area, they all look like mobile homes

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 1:12 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I think it would depend where you live. I live in texas, and we live in a double wide and a single wide before that. The only time we have ever left our home and stayed somewhere else was when the hurricanes were coming through. When it is just a regular thunder storm, high winds, or tornado warnings, we don't leave (now that is just us). We live in the country and knock on wood, where we live there hasn't been any tornadoes go through the area . But they say in the event of a tornado, get in the tub and pull a matesss over you. IDk if it would work or not, that is just what they say. And in our mobile home (it is fairly new), you seriously can't tell when it isbad weather outside unless you look out the door. It is really quite inside and it doesn't shake like a lot of your older mobile homes. So again i would say the area where you live, if u live in what is considered tornado alley, i woudl prob find somewhere else to stay
    Anonymous

• Most of the time, people in mobile homes have a storm shelter built for just such a problem. I know that in my area, it used to be code to have one. Now, it's not, but it's still a good idea, especially if you're in a tornado-prone area.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 3:14 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Call your town or city offices; ask them where the best underground shelter is located.

My parents were in a double-wide mobile home for ten years in Florida, in Tallahassee. I nearly died when I found out there were "no public shelters" around. I had called when a major hurricane hit just four days after they had moved down there. In our case, Mother thought it was a great "adventure," saying cheerily, "Oh, the WHOLE trailer shook like crazy from the wind and when the neighbor girl came to check on us after you called her, the wind blew her right down!" Sigh.

In lieu of a real shelter, go find a public building with very sturdy walls (stone?) and go to an interior room with a lot of wooden support around the doorway, away from windows.

Thinking of you. I live in tornado land in the Midwest and top priority was a basement when we moved. In Florida, though, the water level is too high, so no basements are built?
    Mom401

Answer by Mom401 at 3:54 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Take shelter in a closet that butts into the center of the house - where the 2 sides are joined.
    Penguin_of_Matt

Answer by Penguin_of_Matt at 11:38 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• im in south mississippi and live in a single wide. we just got through all those horrible tornado producing storms that came through. I dont stay. Ever. My grandparents live in a cynder block house next door. I went there wednesday night. Thursday night I went and stayed with my brother. Friday night we went to my aunts (I was watching her teen, she went outta town) and saturday I went and stayed up at my dads. If i know the storm is bad, and capable of tornadoes, or has a history of producing them, I leave. Whenever we start building our house, you can believe there will be a storm shelter. Im so scared of tornadoes.... some people consider me crazy. Anyways, thats what we do-leave. Mobile homes are in no way safe during a tornado, you are better off outside in your ditch. You need a plan for when the weather gets bad.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 11:43 AM on Mar. 30, 2009