Can I introduce veggies now?

Doc gave the ok to solids and I introduced my daughter to rice cereal a week ago. She is 5 months 1 week old. She loves it. I am going to try baby oat meal cereal for this week and planned on then giving peas the following week. The doctor didnt really give a timeline to follow and I keep seeing that you shouldnt start veggies or fruit until 6 months. What do you think?

BunintheOven1

Asked by BunintheOven1 at 1:20 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It doesn't really matter what foods you start with as long as you only introduce single ingredient foods and wait at least 4 days before introducing something new. This is to rule out allergies. I started my daughter on cereals at 4.5 mo. and veggies at 5 mo. The order doesn't really matter - it is really whatever you think is best. Avoid citrus fruits because they are very acidic. Other than that, go for it!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 1:22 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I would start the veggies. May I suggest you not use the rice cereal? It's constipating, and there is no nutritional value. I personally used barley.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 1:22 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• We never did plain cereal. I did cereal with a fruit one at a time for breakfast for a week and cereal with a veggie for dinner. My girls were at 5 months when I started this. None of them have food alergies.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:24 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Our Doc says start with yellow/orange veggies first then move on to the rest. After you get through all those start going through the fruits. Make you sure you're only trying one new one at a time and give it about 3 days before you start a new one so you can see if they react badly to them.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 2:38 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I found a feeding guidline earlier today...if you want to take a look, here is the link: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/t030500.asp

Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 3:15 PM on Mar. 28, 2009