Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

harrassment from collection agency.

they call everyday asking for money, well hes unemployed so we don't have any extra money to send them, the guy is really rude and leaves messages and yells at him and when he does talk to him hes really mean. is there any way we can report them to an agency??? we have called and complained to the company but they are all the same they dont care.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (9)
  • its GC services its for a student loan..

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

  • Not sure but there has to be somebody that will take a complaint. On my dh's student loans they had a thing that you could apply for if you werent working so yu could go several months only paying what you could. Ask about thta (cant remember what they called it). Other than that, get caller ID and dont answer. I have been in that position and honestly it will screw with yor credit, but if you dont have the money you dont have it and you dont need to worry about it untill you can do something to fix it. Try calling the BBB and see if they have info on who you could send a complaint to.

    Answer by AK_aries at 1:29 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

  • Ask for a deferment. (I think that's what it's called).

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

  • It is called a hardship deferrment. Ask for it. Good luck! I hate collection agencies!

    Answer by Danielle720 at 1:35 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

  • Next time they call, explain the situation once again, if you plan on paying them "tell them when you are able to pay you will" Once you have said that TELL THEM NOT TO CALL YOUR HOUSE AGAIN, they can contact you by mail. If you tell them not to call you again, they must follow it. Or you can get them for harrassment. Look up the fair credit act, it states what they can and cant do and it also gives you your rights.

    Answer by midnightmoma at 1:44 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

  • Ask for a deferment. If you are declined you need to find a way to pay them. Maybe work nights somewhere. Tell them you only want to communicate by mail. It will suck for you and cost you money for stamps but it will stop the calls. You owe the money they gave it to you in good faith so you have to find a way. If you loaned someone money I am sure you would contact them multiple times to get it back. This is no different.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:18 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

  • don't bother explaining, their job is to do and say anything necessary to collect. depending on how old the loan is, the banks write it off and these "collection agents" buy it for pennies on the dollar hoping to get the money out of you.......
    Read the book DEBT CURES by Kevin Trudeau It is a lifesavor and can help you with everything!

    Answer by southernstyle88 at 4:34 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

  • Most collection agencies are a bunch of regular people in a house somewhere and they can't actually grant "deferrments".. Just don't answer their calls. They can't do a damn thing about it. I used to work for a collection agency. And no, there really isn't anywhere to report it except maybe threaten to contact the BBB and ask for their business liscence number.. Most likey, they don't have one.

    Answer by MommyHess at 1:13 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

  • Yes there is something that you can do. My eldest daughter is a debt collector herself and I asked her what you can do. First you need to get find out your state laws regrading this matter. Most states have stricter regulations than the federal law, and the company has to follow then. It doesnt matter where they are calling you from. Second thing you need to do is get the company name and call the Better Business Bureau. They take these matters very seriously. Third thing you can do is to tell them to stop all calls, and get an address to send a written request of cease and decease. Once you have sent the letter it is a major violation of the FDCPA if they contact you again, which is federal law.

    Answer by lmaywild1 at 11:58 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.