Which is correct?

Okay, if you are in line at the grocery store and there is only on checker open and the line is 5 or 6 people long. And another checker comas over and opens the next lane. Who should go first? I always thougth it would be whoever is the next person in line should be first to go over to the newly open line. But where i live, it is like people just race to the new line and usually it is the person at the very back of the line who just walked up and hasn'tbeen waiting likethe rest of us. Anyways, what is your opinion?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:48 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Whomever is next in line should go, but it rarely works our that way.
    NorahSethsMommy

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 1:50 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• yeah in an ideal world the next person in line :p
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 1:54 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• That's a free-for-all situation.

I saw a cashier once be rude to a man (who was about 4th in line) because she stepped behind her register and said "Next". Well this guy made it there first and she was actually rude to him saying out loud "I SAID NEXT"... then she actually waved the man away and pointed at the 2nd person in the first line and said "You're next, come over here". The rest of us had our mouths open in disbelief. And honestly, me and two other customers left our baskets where they were and walked out, but not before one lady told the cashier how rude she was and that she intended to complain to corporate. I'd rather wait in a line, forgive a line-jumper than have a rude cashier any day.

So around here, it's just normal - 1st come 1st served. No one seems to mind.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 1:55 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• At the store that I go to the most, the new checker will actually refuse service to anyone besides the next person.

I remember one day, I was at the store, I had like 3 things, was paying in cash, my daughter was crying, and a new checker opened up. I went over to their line and I was told that she could ONLY help the next person in line... Well that was me; execpt for the lady who had already unloaded her cart onto the little belt thingy.
    lovemylittle1

Answer by lovemylittle1 at 1:58 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Whoever has the least amount of groceries? :D
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 2:08 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• The person who is next in in line who has waited the longest.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 2:11 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• it is spoused to be the next person in line... but people don't care...i can't say i never hoped in a newly opened line tho... but i always let someone with only 1-4 things get in front of me if i have a lot
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 2:12 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Sometimes the next in line just stands there like the cashier is not talking to them. Half the time I want to shove them to the cashier.. At Target, they usually say "I can take someone over here".
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:53 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• It should be the next person in line and I think the checker was correct to insist that it was the next person in line and not the guy who was 4th in line. You have to stop the pushy and rude people sometimes or they just go around being pushy with everyone. That's one of my pet peeves-pushy people. Have some manners,people!!!!
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 3:07 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• It should always be the next person in line, but many people do not think of others.
    When I worked retail and we would open a new register we would literally walk over to the next person in line and ask them to follow us. If someone saw that I was open and raced on over I would kindly tell them that the next customer in line was on her way over and that I would wait on her first.
    So many times before I would just make a remark that my line was open and a whole swarm of people would come charging. Then I would say I could help the next person in line, but all the people at the ends of the lines came charging instead. That's when I adopted the personal touch by inviting the next customer in line myself.

Today at Wal-Mart a manager came over to me and pulled my cart over to a register with no other customers. One cashier rang and another cashier bagged and put them in the cart. It was awesome!!!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:41 PM on Mar. 27, 2009