The elderly driving

I have always been a softy for the elderly and awed in sadness when they did something that theyseemingly could not help. But since having my child i am less leinent about there driving habits. I was sitting at a stop sign (infront of the sherrif station)and sitting a little further back than required. The turn is kind of bad, you have to turn and sort of turn sharp to make the turn and go far enough up in the turning lane before starting the turn to avoid hitting a car at the stop sign. This old lads was coming down the road and got in the turing land to make the turn. A car was coming head in in the other direction. The lady shoud have stopped in the turning lane, but she didn't, she kepg going and started to make the turn. indoing so, clipped the fron tof my vehicle because she did not go far enough up, and couldn't turn because she hit me, went straight in the ditch. (cont in answer 1)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:58 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I didnot have my daughter and it was not a hard hit but that is not the point. She apparently shouldn't have been driving if she cant' drive better than that. Do you think there should be some sort of testing they should have the elderly do once they reach a certain age or somthing?
    Anonymous

• I think so. There is a test for teenagers to start driving there should be a test for elders to see if they should be able to continue driving. That might seem bad, but really some ages shouldnt be able to continue driving. I'd say a test around 80-85 would be good.
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 2:07 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• i think they do in CA but dont quote me on that
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 2:07 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• aliciatron, I believe you are right about CA, it's not so much special testing but that after 65 they have to go in more often and after 70 I think they have to take a driving test. Also any doctor or family member can report them and they have to be retested.

I don't necessarily support a manditory age for not driving but we do need tighter regulations for testing after 70 for sure.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 2:16 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• yes i do, after they reach a certain age... they become dangerous... my own gma, was driving and one day she was like.. what color is that light... she couldn't even tell the difference... i was scared... needless to say, she doesnt drive anymore....
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 2:20 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I do think that senior citizens who still drive should be tested more often. And this should be nation-wide, not just a few states.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 2:20 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I agree. There should be re-testing through every dirver's life IMO.
    NorahSethsMommy

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 2:30 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I 100% agree they should go in every 6 months to get checked lol. I'm sorry but I don't like elderly drivers either.

xocyncyn

Answer by xocyncyn at 2:43 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Its sad but they should be tested. A few years ago, a lady who was about 80 and ..legally blind, rammed my car and my car hit the one in front, that one hit the next car.etc. Naturally,she was the one at fault and my insurance paid for everything damaged but I was so scared. I heard she lost her license permanently.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 3:04 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I have all respect for the elderly but some of them do not have any business driving. I was on the freeway, going 65 MPH when I see this old guy seriously going like 45 MPI. He needed to get off the highway. He was dangerously slow.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 3:54 PM on Mar. 27, 2009