• In the Spotlight:

My toddler is 19 months, and her doc advised us to decrease her milk to 2 glasses per day. Isn't milk healthy for kids, and if they want more the better? I forgot to ask the doc why. Do you know why her doc is limiting the milk?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:59 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• You need to call the doctor and ask him. Ours says to limit it to 20-24oz per day...I have to make it less for my oldest and youngest because it constipates them.

Is she gaining weight too quickly? Constipated? Loose bowels?

Call and ask.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:00 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Does your child need to gain weight? or is she lacking nutrition/vitamins? Milk is very filling. Maybe if your child cuts back on milk she'll eat more food?
    BubNSoap

Answer by BubNSoap at 2:01 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I agree with calling and asking the doc. There are many reasons for cutting back milk and without knowing your child, we can't give many reasonable answers.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:05 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• My Doc. always explains the advice he gives me so I understand. From 1-2 my daughter drank whole milk because 1 year olds need the extra fat to help with brain development. At 2 I switched her to 2%. Doc recommended becuase she does not need the fat any longer. I would ask why. I am always more leniant at giving my child more milk when she wants it because it's better for her than sugary juice. I would just watch you don't go too overboard becuase of weight gain.
    tinaaly

Answer by tinaaly at 2:12 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Too much of anything is a bad thing, including milk. Especially since milk is so filling. They end up drinking more milk and eating less. Our doctors always said no more then 3 cups a day (a cup being 4-6 ounces for a toddler).

My kids don't drink milk during the day at home. Not because they don't like it but because I don't think they need it and I can't afford to give them milk whenever they want. They have it in their cereal in the morning and that's it. The older 3 get a carton at school for lunch and my youngest usually chooses milk when we go out to eat...but then usually refuses to eat her lunch, too, because she fills up on milk.

At home my kids drink water and that's it. They get their dairy requirement from other foods like cheese and yogurt.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:02 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I learned LONG ago to not listen to doctors 90% of the time.

If your child likes milk, doesn't have an intolerance to it, and doesn't weigh a ton.... let her have as much as you want!
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 5:57 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• We went through this. It's because when they drink a lot of milk they don't eat enough. They need to eat healthy food as well as drink. I always ended up lying to the doctor about the crazy amount of milk my kids drank.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:30 PM on Mar. 30, 2009