for the moms who are breast feeding

i have alot of family that live atleast an hour away also mine and my sons docs are over an hour away he is only 16 days old and im trying to only breastfeed but when we are in the car and cant stop cause we are late to an appointment anyways what do you do he doesnt like the bottle but will take it if he has to my question is do i just keep giving him a bottle in the car or what i have a pump but im afraid that hell get used to the bf in a bottle and want it that way

bugbug07

Asked by bugbug07 at 2:00 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've undone my seatbelt to breastfeed baby while she is in her carseat so she will be happy when she was an infant. It is uncomfortable, but you just lean over. I had to do this on a road trip to see family a few times. It sucks but at least she stoped crying and fussing and even fell asleep sometimes. kinda hurts your back after a few minutes.
    littledozie

Answer by littledozie at 2:08 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I tried to schedule outings so I'd have enough time to nurse her before I leave the house. Hopefully she'll make it until we get there and if I need too I'll feed her while we're there so she can make the trip back. More than once I've had to find a parking lot and nurse her in the car.
    BubNSoap

Answer by BubNSoap at 2:09 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I have been bfing for seven months and my baby boy will NOT take a bottle at all, I am a sahm and I have been on SEVERAL long trips away in the car ( 3 hours plus). Nurse as much as you can before you head out, and your baby will probably just fall asleep in the car, nurse when you get stopped, if in between baby gets hungry, you will have to pull over and feed him. I wouldn't worry about the bottle, I gave up and now don't see a point.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 2:34 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I would try to get on the road with baby a little sooner in case you do need to stop to feed your baby. Add a few minutes on to however much time your baby usually takes to feed, and leave that much before you normally would. I know you might be there early early, but it's better to be early than late, IMO! :)
    Kat770

Answer by Kat770 at 3:08 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• We just leave early and stop when needed. Its also recommended that you stop and take them out of their carseat every so often just like adults are supposed to get out and walk for a little bit every hour. Now I dont do the walking thing but its just food for thought.
    rena_goldmoon

Answer by rena_goldmoon at 3:56 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• If I have to I just feed mine in the backseat. I pull over at a safe place, like a parking lot. But I always make sure she is fed almost right before we leave, if possible. That gives me about 2-3 hours of time to do stuff.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 7:19 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I always pull over. If I can't and I'm not driving I pull out the boob and nurse baby in the car seat. No, I don't have to lean over it if I do it just right, I've got big boobs. ;)
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 7:48 PM on Mar. 27, 2009