how much longer?

as of today i am 37 weeks and 5 days pregnant. for the past 3 nights while in bed and a few times during the daytime iv felt contractions, not many and not near eachother.
today i had a prenatal appt and my dr checcked my cervix. he said i was 70 % effaced, 1 and half cm dilated and that the babys head bobbed up and down when he pressed it, so that means the baby isnt fully down in my pelvis. he said if i were to go into labor anytime now, they wouldnt try to stop it, but that we would know more when i start having more contractions. he said that they would check my cervix again next friday.

im kinda confused about something tho... lol what does it mean to be "effaced"?? and also how many cms do u have to be to have a baby?

piercedmomma412

Asked by piercedmomma412 at 2:11 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• you have to bo 10 cms to be fully ready to push
    georgiagirl22

Answer by georgiagirl22 at 2:13 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• u have to be 100% effaced and it is ur cervix thining out and u need to be 10 cm to have the baby
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 2:13 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Effaced is the thining out of the cervix, dilating is the opening up. I hate to burst your bubble, but many women can walk around for a couple weeks being 1 to 2 cm dilated. The baby will come when it is ready. No matter how confident your doctor seems, NO doctor can predict when labor will start. The contractions are probably just Braxton Hicks Contractions & while some people believe they are kind of warm up contractions, they probably don't do a whole lot towards actual labor. When the true contractions start, you will know. Best of luck!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 2:53 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• good thing you have cafemom to ask cause if you can't ask your dr. duh
    Anonymous

• My best friend walked around for two weeks 90% effaced and 5 cm dialated before she finally went into labor. Vaginal exams don't really mean anything. You could go into labor immediately after a VE showing you were neither dialated nor effaced.
    Caramelturtle

Answer by Caramelturtle at 4:41 PM on Mar. 27, 2009