im taking my daughter to the beach for the first time..

Any advice? She is 18 months old. She went to the lake with me a few times last summer and she loves pools. But what about the beach? Is it worth taking her or will she be miserable?

MomAt15woah

Asked by MomAt15woah at 2:13 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She'll have a blast. Stay right next to her though - unlike lake wavelets, the waves that wash up on the ocean beach are strong enough to knock her off her feet on the way back out to sea.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:15 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• At the beach by my house, when the tide goes out, it leaves a little wadding pool type thing. It's great to play in. My dd loves the beach, but the waves can be too much and it can be a little hard to keep a good eye on her. Just don't go out too far and make sure the undertow isn't too bad. Also, maek sure it's not high tide. We don't have much beach when the tide is up so no good spots to play in the sand.
    Anonymous

• also a good sunscreen, sun hat, and a warm jacket it can get chilly sometimes. oh, and stay hydrated.
    Anonymous

• thanks I don't think we will need a jacket, we live in central florida so its hot! Lol but I'm excited to take her.
    MomAt15woah

Answer by MomAt15woah at 2:27 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• She'll have blast.she will learn things like the sand and waves.my daugther was scared of the sand at first bacause she didnt know wat it was she felt weird when it went though her feet.we put her in the beach towel at first and she got comfy with it like15 minutes later and now she loves it.(you and the dad can hold her hand and let her splash the water.)she'll love it.
    Enid07

Answer by Enid07 at 3:27 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I think she will have lots of fun. when we took my daughter for the first time we got one of those monkey backpacks with the leash on it. Im a bit paranoid of the ocean. and you can never be to safe.
    abygalesmom

Answer by abygalesmom at 4:28 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Lay out and get a tan! We just took our son to the lake last weekend. He really enjoyed playing in the sand and throwing rocks in the water. I personally do not like the lake water or ocean water. I'd rather just lay out. KEEP AN EYE on her though cause you never know who else is out on the beach or what the water is going to do. Bring some really good sun screen, snacks, beverages, maybe sunglasses if she will wear them, a hat and some flip flops! Have a great time!
    kimskillern

Answer by kimskillern at 7:54 PM on Mar. 27, 2009