Agree or disagree?

Obesity rates in children participating in daycare are rising due to poor exercise requirements.

momnstepmom

Asked by momnstepmom at 2:22 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't agree so much. I mean, obesity isn't just a one source problem. Yes, it would help if daycares raise exercise requirements (or at least some, I have a great center and they do indoor exercises and play outside a lot), but other factors would help as well.

I think ultimately, it's up to the parents to monitor all this. What is your child eating? How much? Do you make him or her play outside enough? Kids love to play, but they also love movies and video games. Do you limit that? What about their junk food intake? What about YOUR lifestyle? Are YOU overweight or obese? Are you doing anything about it? Your kid is eating (more or less) what you're eating. Are you going outside and playing with them enough?

Obesity isn't cause just by Mcdonald's or by lack of exercise. Some people can eat and eat whatever and stay skinny (very unhealthy, but skinny nonetheless). Some can't.
    loli_usn17

Answer by loli_usn17 at 2:25 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Okay you guys, I'm not trying to start a debate, this question was broached in my English class and my teacher wants me to research it. I'm just looking to see who agrees with the statement and who disagrees, with a possible why.
    momnstepmom

Answer by momnstepmom at 2:23 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• It's about keeping yourself and your kids healthy.
    loli_usn17

Answer by loli_usn17 at 2:26 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I disagree. You are responsible for keeping your kids obese free, not the daycare. My son went to day care and there was plenty of excersize daily. They had an outdoor and indoor playground...the kids took yoga once a week and dance once a week. It's all about finding a good program for your child.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 2:32 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I would have to disagree. As a at home care provider I know these little guys here are constantly on the move :) When it warms up and the weather is nicer they will be running around outside. I think it has more to do with parents not teaching healthy eating/exercise at home (i.e. using the drive through for dinner instead of cooking and watching tv while you eat.)
    tandknix

Answer by tandknix at 2:39 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I disagree -- but it depends entirely on your day care. My place, they do not have TVs. So the kids play and go outside twice a day for at least half an hour (toddlers -- longer I"m sure for the older kids who can handle the weather better!). They have push toys, tricycles, things to climb and crawl through. When my dd is outside, she comes in sweaty and thrusty. I don't know that they do "organized" outside play like games or obsticle courses. But during the summer they have water time and run around on the grass getting wet. I'm not sure about my dd's teachers, but when I worked there if it was raining, I would set up an obstacle course and keep 'em moving. Nothing is worse than bored kids with lots of energy! :)
    Anonymous

• I agree that there is a correlation (correlation shows that there is a relationship but the relationship is not necessarily cause-effect). Drowning rates increase at the same time that icecream sales rates increase. Does icecream cause the drowning? Absolutely not. The two things they share in common is summer. Ice cream sales go up when it is hot and drowning rates go up because it's warm enough to be in the water.

In the same way, the two things day care and obesity COULD have in common are lazy or over-worked/tired parents. Parents that use daycare as an unnecessary babysitter or rely on day care because they work too much may be unmotivated to provide anything but fast-food or readymade meals for their children and don't exercise with them (this is not ALL daycare moms and dads are like this but perhaps too many are which could form this correlational relationship).

Just MHO :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:26 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• cont.
    On the flip side, I volunteered at a day care recently and they had TVs in the room to entertain the kids (with age appropriate shows -- but I still disapproved) and instead of taking the toddlers outside to play (b/c the big kids were outside but in a separate fenced area!) they let them watch tv.

Most day cares provied good food and encourage outside play most often than public school does.

I think if you wanted a quality answer, you would need to question local day cares to see what they do each day.
    Anonymous

• DISAGREE, OBESITY STARTS AT HOME. GOOD EXAMPLES DO TOO!

Answer by older at 4:22 PM on Mar. 27, 2009