when did we become a barbaric society?

Juana Villegas, who was nine months pregnant at the time, was arrested last July by the police for a minor driving offense in Nashville, Tennessee. After her arrest, authorities discovered that she was an immigrant from Mexico and transferred her to a county jail so that she could be picked up by Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Two nights later, Juana went into labor and was moved from jail to a hospital. She was shackled in the ambulance, while in her hospital bed, and again immediately after delivery. She even remained shackled to walk from her hospital bed to the bathroom, although there was never any reason to suspect that Juana was a flight risk or that she posed a danger to others.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:52 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• In Amnesty's new report Jailed Without Justice, our researchers discovered that tens of thousands of people are languishing in immigration detention, including immigrants, asylum seekers, torture survivors and even some U.S. citizens. Detainees can remain in immigration detention for years without ever receiving a court hearing to determine whether their detention is warranted and they are often treated inhumanely while in custody.

I'd like to tell you that Juana's case isn't typical. But, our researchers identified numerous stories similar to hers—where detainees have been housed in criminal facilities, excessive shackling is the norm, and medical needs are often ignored.
    Anonymous

• Maybe part of the stimulus should go to more judges to speed up the trials. They are illegals.
    I as a citizen have to respect the law or I will get arrested and face the punishment. They ARE illegals.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:58 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I think we're a lot less barbaric that we used to be...I mean...tying people's limbs to horses and letting the horses run at full speed, completely dismembering a person?! Yeah...
    Anonymous

• did you miss the part that mentions usa citizens? and are you saying that because they are illegals they need to be treated in barbaric ways? what happened to a little human decency?
    Anonymous

• Was she a legal immigrant?
    Anonymous

• I'm not for mistreating a pregnant woman just because she is an illegal immigrant.
    Anonymous

• Hey at least they were nice enough to send her to a hospital..(sarcasm)
    Anonymous

• We must treat everybody in most human ways what we can. Sad....
    Anonymous

• We've always been barbaric. That's never changed over the years. Juana's case is so sad and unfortunate. Personally, I feel that anyone that doesn't pose a threat to anyone shouldn't be shackled. If it's not necessary, than it shouldn't be done, IMO.

jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 3:05 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I as a citizen have to respect the law or I will get arrested and face the punishment. They ARE illegals.

________

Agreed.

If she came here illegally then I believe she is a flight risk. Is she went though all the trouble of getting here she would go through the same trouble to stay.

I do not agree with continuous shackling though. I'd imagine after awhile it becomes painful.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 3:05 PM on Mar. 27, 2009