What can I do to prevent my milk from wasting when it leaks?

Can anyone recommend a tried method to collect the breast milk that leaks? What has worked for you? I find that I probably waste a lot of milk when I leak...don't want to waste this liquid gold.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• collect it & freeze it. that's what i did! had PLENTY of backup.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:01 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• When I would nurse on my right side, I would put a cup under my left breast and catch what was leaking out while nursing. Sometimes it would be close to an ounce.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:20 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Breast shells!!!! Medela makes a comfortable one. Let me tell you they aren't pretty to wear under your bra but they keep your nipples from rubbing inside your bra, keeps air flow to the nipple, helps to draw them out, and *bonus* collects anything that leaks :)
    Caramelturtle

Answer by Caramelturtle at 3:32 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I would hold a cup under my other boob while I breastfed, too. I leaked so much when I let down.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 3:57 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• But it is not really "wasted", you keep making more! I just can't understand why you want to go to all of that trouble to collect it? What are you going to do with it? I'm not trying to be rude, I just seriously don't understand why you need to collect it.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:01 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Maybe she is planning on going back to work or being away for the baby for a few hours in a row one day? Some people do that.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:33 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• pump and freeze...no matter how much you save it will never be enough.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:04 PM on Mar. 27, 2009