Lanisoh?

I've been using lanisoh to "condition" myself for breast feeding. I think it's making me itch like crazy. Has anyone had that happen? or is it normal for your nipples to itch? My mom says she never had that problem, so I'm wondering if I'm allergic.

emmetsmom09

Asked by emmetsmom09 at 3:00 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Wool alcohols are the principle component of lanolin in which allergens are found. Lanolin is a natural product obtained from the fleece of sheep. Sebum is extracted from the wool, cleaned and refined to produce anhydrous lanolin. This comprises 3 parts, wool alcohols, fatty alcohols and fatty acids. Currently the wool alcohols are considered the main sensitisers in lanolin but whether they are the sole sensitisers, needs further investigation. Nowadays there is also chemically modified lanolin that may be less sensitising than natural lanolin. Wool alcohols, wool fat, anhydrous lanolin, lanolin alcohol, wool wax and wool grease are just some of the terms used interchangeably with lanolin. In this article we will use wool alcohols, as it is this fraction of lanolin that is the main cause of contact allergies.

One of my co-workers had the SAME problem

Caramelturtle

Answer by Caramelturtle at 3:29 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I used that, too. I remember my nipples & breasts itching a lot anyway, so I'm not sure if was directly related to Lanisoh or now.
    paige8608

Answer by paige8608 at 3:02 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• mine did too like crazy, but if you are itching badly anywhere else call your doctor, in the 3rd trimester there is a condition that can come up and is dangerous (though I cant remember the name of it)and it causes you to itch like crazy all over. But if its just your nipples sound the joys of pregnancy
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 3:08 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Theres always a chance it could be the Lansinoh but its prob just from growing etc. My nipples were soooo itchy when I was pregnant!
    Anne.Marie

Answer by Anne.Marie at 3:11 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• mine did to and my doctor said to rub my brest milk on my nipple rather then the lotion...idk i havent tried yet
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 3:14 PM on Mar. 27, 2009