Will scaring babies affect them psychologically when they're older?

some think it's cruel.. some think it's funny. but so is tickling.

my baby laughs when i "scare" her. (9month old)

when scare i mean.. it's quiet.. and they're looking for you.. and you come around the corner going "ROOAR" and you see baby sorta jump but, she laughs and crawls away screaming to get away from the "monster".

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:14 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• thats a game. in a developmental psychology class i learned that laughter is close to fear in babies. they are scared b/c you are gone, startled at your arrival, & the laughter is relief that you are there & everything is okay.

so long as she likes it, you wont do any damage. my kid loves to be scared too, but if i scare her & shes tired...she freaks out for a while. so ive stopped doing that...
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:56 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Sounds like a game...like the baby is just surprised. I think it is fine and she probably really enjoys the interaction.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:18 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Not what you are describing, it sounds like just a fun game.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 3:20 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• It sounds like she thinks it is a game. At which point, I would say, no psychological damage is being done. If she were hyperventilating and shrieking and crying in terror, that would be another matter. Repeatedly scaring your child when they're showing you they don't like it, to me, would set up a pattern of distrust in their parents for the future. Sounds like she's just playing with you and having fun.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:20 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• **OP HERE

wow! that's very interesting! thank you all for your answers!

i admit sometimes i feel a little guilty startling her.. it's good to know no harm will be done.
    Anonymous