How do you break into the photography business after you are done with all your classes and certification?

I am taking several classes to enrich my photography skills. How do you get your name out there? Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I'm thinking of going to school for photography, too. What I would do is offer to do a wedding or other event, friends, their kids and families, as well as my own, free or super cheap to build a portfolio. Good work from satisfied customers is the best advertisement! I haven't really thought about it much beyond that.
    Anonymous

• Well if you want to get into portrait photography (like for kids ETC) i would suggest that you find some new parents who would like to get pictures of there baby done. Offer to do it for them for free in exchange for using the prints on your ad's/flyers. We did this for photographer who had started her business the previous year and needed some new work for her portfolio/flyers. We got a $150 portrait session done for free and she got the pictures she needed to get her business going. Win-Win.
    abygalesmom

Answer by abygalesmom at 4:34 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• thanks
    Anonymous

• My dad gave some photos to a giftshop for them to sell when he was on a trip to NY. He paid for them and figured that it was advertising because his name was on them. Now he has two studios, one in the Sanfransico Bay Aria and one in New York. (his sites are DBWalton.com and lenscandy.com if you want to look at his work) Always keep your prices posted for people "shop around" when you are fist starting so you can get lots of customers. It's always good to have a portfolio of some of your best peices to show off whenever. I can paint and draw and I found the best result for me to sell random peices to to put them in shows (art shows and you can enter then into the fair during the summer). With photography it is mostly advertising and showing off your work. Having you work come out nice of course is a good helper too.
    JenFunSniffer

Answer by JenFunSniffer at 9:58 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Just a tip...DO NOT photography weddings until you are completely comfortable with the business side and you know the in's and out's of photography (technical aspect, can work in ANY lighting situation, etc etc). Wedding photography is a WHOLE different realm in this biz. And people won't hesitate to sue photographers ESP for weddings. GL!
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 12:52 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Have a good portfolio, and like a previous poster said, give away free shoots to people to build that portfolio. The woman who did my maternity and newborn shoots was just starting to get her name out there, so she did two free shoots for me and used them on her website. We got free pics and she got something to show people.

Have a website set up. Advertise. Word of mouth works wonders, so tell everyone you know what you are starting up. Talk to an experienced photographer to understand some of the business parts, ie copyrights, etc.

Good luck!
    mkemom519

Answer by mkemom519 at 9:45 AM on Apr. 1, 2009