How do I get DH to stop smoking in the house?

Dh smokes and I don't. I really don't have a problem with him smoking, I just want him to stop doing it in the house. Any suggestions how I can get him to stop? Not trying to be a B**** about it, but everything smells like cigarettes and my youngest son has asthma. You would think it would be common sense not to smoke around him, but he still does. Ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Health

• I know you dont want to be a b*** about it, but if you have no other option he may need that to get the hint. I quit smoking when I got regnant but even before then we didnt smoke in the house, it just stinks, and why torture everyone else. Maybe have him go to the Dr with yur son and have his Dr explaine how bad it is for him, take all the ash trays outside, and if you find his cigarrettes put them outside too. Everytime he lights up ask him if he forgot to step outside first. Maybe make him a place he can be comfortable out there, set up a table and chairs if you dont already have some. Or he could go to the garage if you have one, thats what a friend of mne's husband does. GL I know it sucks, and I am an ex-smoker who still hated the smell.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 3:35 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Change the locks while he's out... what a selfish pig. Does he not give a crap about your son???
    Anonymous

• Just tell him to repect you and your son's life... If he wants to kill himself, then let him just be it and not threaten your lifes aswell....
    PilyFernandez

Answer by PilyFernandez at 3:34 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• It should have never been allowed to begin with. It's terrible that he would put your already sick son in more danger. He needs to do it outside, period point blank. Make him stop! Or I'll probably leave for a while...what the hell.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 3:34 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Dont worry about being a bitch about it. Its for your son's sake. Let him know if he dosnt stop putting his son's health in danger (second and third hand smoke + the ashtma) then you'll have leave. Your son's health should be FAR more important that a few drags. Be a nag about it, he'll get annoyed and stop doing [in the house].
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 3:39 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Ummm...you need to be a B*T#$ about it! What the heck is he thinking? He is putting your childs health at risk! Demand he stop. He's being totally inconsiderate.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 3:41 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• when u find out how let me know i have the same problem i hate it and i dont want it around my child it sucks we had a rule when my son was born but i keep catching him doing it time and time again its frustrating.
    caspers_mommy

Answer by caspers_mommy at 3:59 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• while this is a hard situation I think that you are right in trying to not allow him to smoke in the house. When I was pregnant we attended free classes from Babies R Us and one of them was about SIDS and how Smoking around children and especially pregnant women can increase the risk of SIDS. If you have a B.R.Us near you go to the class and bring your Dh just to hear from someone other than yourself because I couldn't imagine feeling the guilt of SIDS (if i were a smoker, and SIDS happened in my home). Other ideas, ask him why he doesn't like to smoke outside? If it is because of certain things see about making a small shed like addition to your back yard with his amenities that he prefers, (Then he'd look forward to it) granted this may not be financially feasible, but smoking costs a lot and maybe he could cut back to see the project through =) Or you could go for a walk w/ kids every time he smokes, isolating him
    Anonymous

• If you son has asthma I would make him go outside! Does he not care about your son? I know for a fact that if my husband did smoke he would, out of love for his son, go OUTSIDE!!! I had a parent who smoked and everytime I would spend time with that parent I would get very sick. I can only imagine you poor son.
    Anonymous

• Ask him how much he loves his son and how long he wants his son to live. Your son can die from an asthma attack, tell him that under NO circumstances does he smoke in the house, the health and safety of your son must come first. Second hand smoke also causes upper respitory infections and ear infections. Have your sons doctor talk to him about the affects of cigarette smoke on a person with asthma. I wouldn't give him any choice, either he quits or smokes outside.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:37 PM on Mar. 27, 2009