What type of convertable carseat is the best?

My dd is quickly heading for the weight and height limit so i am looking for something for her to use from now as well as in to the toddler years. I would like something mid price but i am willing to spend extra if the weight limit is higher.

KeagansMom08

Asked by KeagansMom08 at 3:30 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I bought a Britax Boulevard for $309. I love, love, love it!!! Britax makes race car seats, side impact tested, etc. The rear-facing goes up to 35lbs and the forward facing on it goes up to 65 lbs. I did LOTS of research before I bought a carseat and I had a lot of trouble finding any bad reviews on this one. The most common complaint was the buckle in between the legs is a little short but I have had no problems with that.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 3:33 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I too reccomend Britax. But if you have a small car go with the Diplomat model its smaller and cheaper.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 3:38 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• The best car seat is the one that fits both your child and your car and that is properly installed.
    Anonymous

• We have a truefit. It will RF up to 35lbs and EH to 65lbs. Its about $175.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 3:50 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• If you have the money for it, a true fit is awesome. Sometimes chunkier kids have a hard time fitting in the Britax comfortably, I've heard. I don't have one myself, but I heard someone say that it was just too slim for her son. I couldn't afford it, but I sat my son in a true fit the other day and it was nice and big even around him and he's 30 pounds at 16 months.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 3:55 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

I agree with this. I will say that I have a True Fit, which runs about $180, and LOVE it. It RF to 35 and FF to 65.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:29 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• About 3 month ago we got a Graco Nautilus 3-in-1 convertible car seat and LOVE IT! Our little guy is comfy, it has a cubby for things and a cup holder. It has the 5 point harness and LATCH system too. And it is rated for 65 pounds for the 5 point harness and 100 pounds for the booster seat. In store (walmart) it was priced at $179.98 but we went to walmart.com and got it for only $147.00 including shipping to our door. You can also have it shipped to your local store for FREE.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 4:40 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Your best option is to take your child with you and test the seats out in the store. If you have a Babies R Us or Toys R Us close by, a lot of times they will let you take the seat out to your car to see if it is compatible. Make sure you read the manual regarding installation and weight recommendations prior to purchasing the seat. Sometimes the boxes and manuals can be misleading as to rear facing vs. forward facing and boostering weight and height limits. I would stear clear of most 3 in 1's since they generally have lower harness slots and lower weight limits for harnessing. Once you purchase a seat, contact your closest child passenger safety technician to make an appointment so they can help you learn more (even if you think you don't need it). If you need help finding one, pm me and I will help.
    Kim
    certified CPS technician
    momof2luvsshoes

Answer by momof2luvsshoes at 4:42 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• MommaM2--
    The Graco Nautilus is a great seat but it is not classified as a convertible seat. It is a 3 in 1combination seat technically because it (1) forward faces in harnessed mode, (2) high back booster mode, and (3) low back booster mode.
    Great choice for extended harnessing mama!
    momof2luvsshoes

Answer by momof2luvsshoes at 4:46 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Just for anyone thinking about the Nautilus: This is a FORWARD FACING ONLY seat. It is not meant for any child under 1 year old or 22 (i believe) lbs. It is a GREAT FF seat for a bigger, older child. I'm only mentioning this because this is the 0-12 mos section, so I didn't want anyone to think it can be used RF, or for a baby.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:56 PM on Mar. 27, 2009