Should I pull my son from the DayCare?

Currently there is little to no communication between me and the daycare my son attends. This primarily due to the volume of children and language issues. I have no idea what is happening with him developmentally during the day or when/how much he is eating, pottying, or sleeping. However to is obvious that he is loved by his daycare providers and he loves them in turn. Also all the other kids are super happy and seem not only fond of the providers but each other as well.
So should I not worry about the communication issue and keep him there?

FuzNet

Asked by FuzNet at 3:36 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's hard to say really because we don't know all the details. But I can say, trust your gut. If something is telling you that it's time to change places, then do it. It also can't hurt to go check out another daycare center or two. Most daycares keep track of this kind of stuff and send the information home with parents. My son's daycare tells me what my son eats, if he ate much of it, how long he took a nap and how many times they changed his diaper. They also give us information on what they are working on each week so we can work on it at home as well. He is now 2 but they even did this when he was less than a year old.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 3:39 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• All the daycares I have had contact with (mine and a few friends of mine) they all send home a sheet at the end of the day saying when they went potty (or wet diapers) what they had to eat, how well they ate, did they play outside or inside, did they take a nap, what they had fun with and what they had trouble with that day. I would see if maybe talking to the director you can get something like that worked out so at least you have it in writing. Or just ask alot of questions when you pick him up. But if he is happy I would see about trying other stuff first before you pull him out, it is hard to find somehting like that that the kid feels comfortable and he already seems to have good relationships there.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 3:40 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• It seems as though you are happy with the daycare in general, just not the lack of communication.

I would talk to the director and ask if there is some info sheet they might could send home with him. Or maybe when you pick him up, you could allow yourself 5 minutes to ask the teacher questions. They should be VERY willing to do either.

At all of the daycares and preschools I have been in, there were daily diaper change/potty time sheets sent home. Also napping and eating notes.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:43 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Is there anyway you can work out the communication issues? It is really important for you to know what is going on, but if he is being well cared for and likes the daycare that is a big thing too. Is there anyway they can write down what he eats when and when he sleeps so then at the busy pick up time they can just hand you the paper?
    Anonymous

• Definately speak with the director before moving. Like pp said, my dd gets a sheet that lists what she ate, when, how much, nap time, diaper changes and if it was wet or bowel. If that is not something they do, create one that would give you what you need and recommend they use it for all kids and if nothing else, just for yours.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 3:44 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I have worked in daycares before and we always had to have good communication with the parents and send home a sheet similar to what aries was talking about. I would be worried if I didn't know what was going on. Bu then again I'm a first-time mom who's just started back to work. I don't think your son would be so loving towards someone who would mistreat or ignore him. However, I would definitely check out some more and see if you feel any more comfortable with them. Good luck!
    mariaria

Answer by mariaria at 3:46 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I would have to have good communication with them. These are the people your child is mostly with when not with you. It is very imporatant to know what is going on. I would try for better communication and if you jsut don't get it you may want to consider changing.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 4:35 PM on Mar. 27, 2009