My baby is 5 mths old, he had a fever about 2 weeks which broke after 1 day, after which he has been congested at nights with a few coughs. 2 weeks after started with a very bad cough one night and is now on the ventolin pump. The cold is there on his chest and in his tiny nose how can I help him

JATRINIMOM

Asked by JATRINIMOM at 4:09 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You could squirt breastmilk up his nose ; )
    kimberleee382

Answer by kimberleee382 at 6:01 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• usually the vapor bath for infant work really good to open them up, also baby vicks give him lots of fluid either formula/breastmilk or pedialyte the more fluids the better get all the congestion out and saline drops in his nose. and as always make sure u get him a drs appt because u dont want it to turn to croupe, brochatits or pneumonia, i hope he gets better soon for u and him!!!
    CubanFIre

Answer by CubanFIre at 8:11 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• For the congestion, get your baby a good humidifier. My daughter has gone through the same thing with all the nasty congestion in her chest. I have a $30 Graco humidifier in her room, that runs while she's asleep.. The sound it makes also lures her to sleep, so that's a bonus, I would say. Also, pat your baby's back as if you were burping him, just to loosen up the phlem that's built up in him. Make sure to suction his nose a lot.
    RLugo

Answer by RLugo at 8:14 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Thanks for all the help ladies, I have tried the humidifier and it does seem to help a bit. I have also been rubbing the little cold and giving him the saline drops.

Just hoping the cold and phelm will come out so I can stop the ventolin pump and flixotide.

Thanks again
    JATRINIMOM

Answer by JATRINIMOM at 9:11 PM on Mar. 29, 2009