• In the Spotlight:

Is any one sick of........child leashes

Is anyone else sick of close minded "moms" bad mouthing us for using harnesses on our children? Calling them leashes? Equating our children to DOGS!? And calling us lazy?

It's a saftey issue! Why don't they get that?

EarthMama05

Asked by EarthMama05 at 4:17 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't care what people think. It works for me especially when I'm shopping. I just tie him up to one of the signs outside and he can't get away unless he chews through it. One time I forgot the leash and so I "lost him" near by a customer service desk and then I did my shopping and when I was done, I went to the lost and found.
    Anonymous

• I used to think it was wrong till my son turned two, and wants to walk on his own, It's alot easier to put it on and let him walk freely than forcing him to sit in the cart or trying to shop while he's figiting holding my hand
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 4:19 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• You won't ever change people's minds. I have yet to get one but I really want to so I can travel and go to much more populated places and still let my kids walk around if they want. To me it is a safety issue. I'd much rather see parents have their kids on a harness than see parents that let their kids run all around and act like animals in a store.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 4:21 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• i would so get one.
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 4:22 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Some people just don't realize what works for one mom doesn't work for others. They'll say "well MY child knows to stay right by my side." Well good for them but I've got a hyperactive 3 year old who's too big for a stroller and my 2 year old is in the stroller so it just helps me out to keep him near me. I usually use when there is going to be a huge crowd, like the state fair.
    Anonymous

• My thing is there have been so many abducted children. If I have a harness on DS and the loop around my arm no one is taking him! And we can still shop safely.

EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 4:23 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Nope, not sick of child harnesses (leashes), just sick of people posting about them ad nauseum.
    Anonymous

• As the mother of a child with impulse control issues. I can TOTALLY understand other mothers who use leashes. They can protect your child from danger. I put them in a category of seat belts.

If anyone bothers you about it again. Ask them if their child uses a seat belt? Then tell them your child needs a walking belt. lol.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:24 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I always thought that they were ridiculous but now that I'm a mommy I think it's an awesome idea! I don't believe a child should be in one EVERYTIME they're out and about because some of the responsibility still lies with the parent, but in crowded places or when you're out say at an airport or something where there might be a minute where you can't help but have to focus your attention elsewhere I think they are good to have. I still call them leashes, but I wouldn't equate my son or anyone else's child to a dog..
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 4:25 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Well maybe you shouldn't open them, then you would have that problem. No one say you HAVE to read them, you choose to.
    EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 4:25 PM on Mar. 27, 2009