Will you change the way you tell your child something because of this new study or do you do something that works for your household?

Why toddlers don't do what they are told.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20090325/sc_livescience/whytoddlersdontdowhattheyretold

Very interesting article. What are your opinions on this? Will you change the way you tell your child something or do you do something that works for your household. Please share!

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 4:30 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• Depends on the study. In this particular case, I'd try it a few times on my 4 yr old stepbaby who has problems like they describe in the article. If it works, I'd change. If it didn't, I would revert back.

I don't see any need to ignore research. Everyone can learn new tricks, afterall, and my need to be right doesn't supercede my logic, though I do maintain a healthy skepticism.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 6:53 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Now way if some thing works it works I live the old timer way learn from family and friends and then use the trial and error method. Once you find some thing stick with it.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 4:34 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Well, that is already kind of what i did with my daughter anyway. I learned already that it's harder for her to do something unless i give her an explanation for doing it. If i TELL her to do it w/ no explanation as to why, it DOES seem to go in one ear and out the other. For instance, if i tell her to brush her teeth, she may stall, but if i say "brush your teeth, or do you want all those germs in your mouth making your breath stink?" she will run to go brush her teeth. But that is just how my child works, & I've come to learn that about her.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:46 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I won't change a thing. One cannot apply a single thing to any and all toddlers (or baby or preschooler, or school aged kid, or teen ager or adult...)

I know how my kids work. I know my toddlers do what I tell them to do. I know my preschoolers can be reasoned with, and we can talk things through with them.

If they don't want to do what they are told, they to go the corner until they are willing to do what they were told. It's funny how quickly they will go do what they are told when standing in a corner.

As far as their cold weather and jacket example....If one of the boys says they don't want to wear a jacket, I simply ask them if it's cold or warm outside (have them feel the glass on a window). If they reply that it's cold, ask them if they want to be cold...they will say no. "What do you think will keep you from being cold?" "MY JACKET!" ...and they put their coat on.

But that's how they work...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:20 PM on Mar. 27, 2009