why are the vast majority of questions in this category about potty training???

I would have thought by 2 1/2- 3 at the VERY LATEST, your kid should be potty trained unless there is some underlining issue... it's just crazy to me that kids as old as 4 are still in DIAPERS!!! WHY!?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:33 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have wondered the same thing my daughter was potty trained by the time she turned three
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 4:34 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• both of mine were at age 2,and the other 26 momths.I have found that a little odd too.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, I've wondered that too. All 4 of mine were potty trained when they were 2. It wasn't a big deal either. We just did it.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 4:43 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• If I had a 3-4 yr old who wasn't potty trained I'd have a lot of questions too. Wouldn't you? Moms asking moms and hoping to not be judged. That's not likely here, though.
    Anonymous

• Judgemental much?

Our pedi told us that as long as she was potty trained BY 4 yrs there was no rush.

She wasn't interested in it at all and acted terrified if I sat her on it til just a few months ago and when we started she only had accidents (while awake) the first 2 days; since then she's been great! So waiting for HER to be ready was what was best for US. (she'll be 4 in July)
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 5:06 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Not all kids are ready to potty train at 2 or 3. Just because your child learned to use the potty before then doesn't mean that is the case for everyone.

I have to admit, that I used to think that if a child was not potty trained by the time they turned 3, it was because the parents were not doing their job. Then I had my younger son...I expected him to be potty trained before his 3rd birthday. I did all of the things that everyone told me to do. I had no trouble potty training his older brother. He did not potty train until he was 4yr 2 mos.

I know that if there are frustrated moms out there,with the "only" 3 year old who isn't potty trained then I want to be there for that mom.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:55 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• My brother has 4 children. Three of them were a breeze to potty train. One was a nightmare. She is easily the smartest of the 4 (and they are all very smart kids), she was the 3rd one so the parents had lots of practice at this "easy" task, but she was very stubborn and flatly refused. No bribes worked. She didn't care if the princesses on her panties got wet. No punishments or threats worked. They tried everything but she was nearly 4 before peer pressure did the trick.

Were they lame, clueless parents as you imply or did they just have a child very different than the easy ones that came before and the ones you have encountered? Do you truly believe that all children are different or do you actually think that anyone with a misbehaving kid, a non-potty trained kid, a child different than your own is a rotten parent?

Stop judging and start helping. The world you give your children will be a much better place.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:20 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Where there's a will, there's a way. Sorry ladies, but I'm old school on this one.  Everyone in my family, including the latest generation, is out of diapers between 18 and 24 months, no exceptions so far.   Unless a child has a developmental delay, major upsets in their life (divorce, move, new sibling), a medical problem, or caretakers unwilling to support the process, they should all be out of diapers at two years old. It's lazy, uneducated parenting in my opinion and ridiculous to allow (yes, I said allow!) your child to wear diapers at three and four years old. Every child is different and the same techniques do not work on every child. Parents just need to get out there and find other methods and get the job done. If that offends mothers with preschoolers in diapers, then so be it. Before you bash me, carefully read my exceptions listed above.

DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 8:31 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I NEVER once implyed that parents were lame or clueless... i am just HONESTLY SHOCKED at the vast majority of questioning going on about 3 and 4 year olds that are not potty trained! by 3 1/2-4 they are able to feel when they have to go, unless there is another problem...
    Anonymous

• they parents of kids 3 and 4 who are not pottytrained obviosly agree with you that its too long. otherwise they wouldnt ask the questions. thats what this site is for. not to say " wow, your kids are not pottytrained!" but to say " how can i help". just making judgmental observations just makes you look ignorant.
    LadyDahl

Answer by LadyDahl at 6:50 PM on Mar. 29, 2009