What do you consider to be a good amount of homework for a 5th grader?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:44 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I am not sure about the amount as mine are not that old yet but I think maybe spending more than 30 minutes is to much. How much are we talking here?
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 4:45 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I think maybe one hours worth of homework is enough, My daughter is in 5th grade and it takes her about three hours to complete all her homework.
    huffmanall4

Answer by huffmanall4 at 5:14 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I would say about an hour is a good amount. I remember in 5th grade that I got atleast that and by junior high and high school it was about 3 hours. My son is now in 7th grade and gets very little homework, maybe 20 minutes. In 5th grade he got about 30 minutes.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:24 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• 30 min nightly reading plus about an hour of HW (most districts where I live have the standard 20-30 min reading depending on the grade and 10 min for every year they are: 10 for 1st, 20 for 2nd, etc. SS is in fourth and it can take him up to 3 hours to do the simplest of work, but that is because he doesn't stay on task.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 8:46 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• an hour most nights unless they have a project due and that can add some time. My kids rarely have homework course in my eyes that's why South Carolina is 50 out of 50 states for education. That is the only thing I hate being here. Went from a state in the top 5 to the bottom of the barrel.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:31 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Sorry, our 5th grader does an online school at home, so all her work is "homework" so I can't help. She does spend about an average of 6 hours per day with school (including outside band). But then again, we don't waste time getting set up for the next subject or going out to recess and lunch or moving from classroom to classroom.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 12:26 AM on Mar. 30, 2009